We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with one-day visit for disabled daughter.

Carlsbad, California
6 posts
Save Topic
Help with one-day visit for disabled daughter.

Our daughter is very excited about our upcoming visit to Mesa Verde in June. Due to her disability, climbing the ladders to the various ruins will not be possible, although she may be able to get to the Spruce Tree House site. She is very into photography, and is particularly keen on taking pictures of the Cliff Palace. The National Park website recommends the Mesa Top Loop Road for a short visit, but it seems from the map that the Cliff Palace/Balcony House Loop Road would get her much closer (from the parking area) for taking pictures of Cliff Palace. Which road would you recommend?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with one-day visit for disabled daughter.

You will have to do both drives. Start your day at Spruce Tree House. Even if she can not make it to the ruin, great views from above. Then drive Mesa Top Ruins Road, possibly the short walk to the Square Tower House overlook (my avatar photo here on TA). See the pit houses and then stop at Sun Point View and Sun Temple for great views of Cliff Palace. There is an overlook at Cliff Palace where you can get even closer.

Also on the way out of the park stop at Farview Ruins, a great place to see the mesa top pueblos up close. A flat trail to other smaller sites is there.

Check this link... nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm

Carlsbad, California
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with one-day visit for disabled daughter.

Thank you, CasaAzul. It is so wonderfully generous and gracious of you to respond so quickly and thoroughly. We will be thinking of you during our visit.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with one-day visit for disabled daughter.

I'd also recommend a visit to the Anasazi Heritage Center near Dolores. There's a 1/2 mile handicap accessible trail there. In addition, the Heritage Center is the Visitor Center for the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument; Lowry Pueblo is handicap accessible as well and would be worth a visit if you have the time.

When I first visited Mesa Verde many years ago, I somehow got the impression that Mesa Verde was the main, if not only, site of the settlements in the area! The cliff dwellings are certainly the most dramatic, but visiting the Heritage Center and Lowry really expand one's understanding.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with one-day visit for disabled daughter.

I agree with the Heritage center in Dolores. Hovenweep. although not fully accessible, may allow closer access to some towers. Check out www.nps.gov for more details.

5. Re: Help with one-day visit for disabled daughter.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 19, 2010