We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff Palace Tour

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cliff Palace Tour

Hi

Can you purchase the tickets for tours the day before or only on the day of the tour? We are planning to arrive in the late afternoon and do the Knife Edge Hike?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliff Palace Tour

That is a good question and I don't know the answer. We usually get them in the morning as we head into the park. I think you can also purchase tickets at the Morfield Ranger Station near the campground in the evening.

The Knife Edge is a fun hike. Sunset is a good time, make sure you have a flashlight with you.

Where are you staying?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliff Palace Tour

The brochure says that you can only purchase tickets in person once you are in the park so I am assuming that means the day of the tour. If there are a lot of people wanting tickets to the cliff dwellings they may limit you to just one cliff dwelling so get there early so you get the one you want. You do not need tickets for the Knife Edge Hike since it does not enter any of the cliff dwellings. go-colorado.com/Mesa-Verde-National-Park-Att… is a good link to review for suggested ideas while in the park. Hope you have a great trip.

Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliff Palace Tour

I've been there the last two summers and both times I bought my tickets a day early. You just have to do it in person, which means making the relatively long drive to the Farview Visitor Center an extra time. They also sell tickets at the Morefield Campground, in the evening I believe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliff Palace Tour

Hi

CasaAzul we are staying in Cortez at the Holiday Inn Express.

We will try to get our tickets for the Cliff Palace Tour from Morefield Village the night before.

Unfortunately we only have 1/2 day to spend at Mesa Verde no where near enough time. It was 1/2 a day or not at all. We are heading onto Moab that afternoon and I had planned to drive out to Dead Horse Point for sunset.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliff Palace Tour

1/2 a day is better than no day!!! Enjoy your visit.

With only a 1/2 day... think about not taking a tour (I know gasp!!). That will eat up quite a bit of your time at Mesa Verde. Instead visit Spruce Tree House Ruin and Museum, Mesa Top Ruins road, Sun Temple and Farview Ruin. These stops will give you a great overview of the park. Spruce Tree House is by far my favorite cliff dwelling on Chapin Mesa... Spring House on Wetherill is my favorite self guided ruin.

6. Re: Cliff Palace Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 18, 2009