We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesa Verde in August

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
342 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mesa Verde in August

Based on inputs from this forum and my previous post we have decided to visit Mesa Verde in August. We will be there on a Thursday and I'm wondering how crowded it is midweek. Would we be able to visit both Cliff Palace and Balcony House in 1 day or would we need to leave one for the next day? I would prefer to see as much in one day, because we're headed to Gread Sand Dunes Park the next day and I know my kids will be excited to run wild in the dunes.

Also, how are the tent camping facilities in the park? When I read that there are 435 sites, I picture no privacy and very loud.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,705 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mesa Verde in August

From what I have read, you can not get a ticket for both Cliff Palace and Balcony House for the same day. If you only can see one, see Cliff Palace. You can also visit Long House on Wetherill Mesa that same day. Visit www.nps.gov/meve for more info.

The campground is huge and incredible. Some sites are close, some are spread out. We love that campground and have had incredible visits. Last time we had a site that was close to others, but backed up to the woods. Birds etc.... wonderful.

One day would be ok at Mesa Verde, but 2 is better. Sand Dunes is great fun, but in August the dunes will be HOT during the day. Visit places along the way, Pagosa Springs, Wolf Creek Pass and then spend the evening and the next morning running around the dunes.

2. Re: Mesa Verde in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 19, 2009