We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand Circle trip

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
grand Circle trip

Has anyone done the Grand Circle trip which includes GC; Mesa Verde; Monument Valley; Bryce Canyon and Zion?

Planning to see most of these starting in Las Vegas (if feasible as I only have 2 weeks) in August next.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand Circle trip

I posted on your Grand Canyon forum post, so check there for ideas too. I would spend at least 1 full day at Mesa Verde, 2 would be better so you can see most of the park. Visit www.nps.gov/meve for tons of information.

In the Cortez area you may also want to visit the Anasazi Heritage Center and Canyons of the Ancients National Mon. Visit these links for more info: http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ahc.html and http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/nm/canm.html

I would look at staying in Cortez, or even at the Far View Lodge inside Mesa Verde. During the summer there are Indian dances in downtown Cortez.

Have fun planning.

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand Circle trip

In 2004 we drove to Moab (Arches and Canyonlands National Parks) then on to Zion and Bryce Canyon NP and down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We stayed inside the park at the lodges in Zion, Bryce and the North Rim (if you want to do that I would suggest making reservations now-if it is not too late). In 2005 we visited Mesa Verde NP and Monument Valley while doing a SW Colorado vacation. This next May we plan on driving back to Moab for 4 nights (to visit Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef NPs); then on to Zion (staying in the Main Lodge) then to Bryce (staying in a western cabin) and then driving through Monument Valley over to Mesa Verde NP (staying inside the park at the Farview Lodge) then driving back to Virginia.

If the lodge in Zion is booked, there are a number of motels in Springdale (just outside the park) and if the Farview Lodge is booked, there are places to stay in Cortez, CO near Mesa Verde.

You should be able to see many beatiful sights within your two week time frame.

3. Re: grand Circle trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mesa Verde National...