We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth the trip?

Atwater, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth the trip?

We are visitng Moab in July and then on to Phoenix. Mesa Verde looks fascinating but is it worth the trip and taking a day away from the goings on at Moab? Is it worth spending a couple of nights there given the reviews on the Fairview Lodge and the "road from hell" getting there. Thanks in advance for any information. Alson, can a couple in their 50's do all the climbing involved?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth the trip?

I don't recall the road as being all that difficult. And there are definitely some walks/hikes that a couple in their 50's can take at Mesa Verde.

Mesa Verde is a special place, with some beautiful ancient dwellings. Having said that, if you are driving from Moab on down to Phoenix you have an opportunity to see some other wonderful cliff dwellings; for example, and Canyon de Chelly. It depends a lot on the rest of your itinerary and how rushed you are and, perhaps, on how willing you are to pause and contemplate an ancient culture. Personally I don't view Mesa Verde or Canyon de Chelly or any of the old cliff dwellings as a kind of drive-by, ooh and ahh, kind of place, but more of a place to experience.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth the trip?

YES it is worth it. You do not have to stay at the Farview Lodge, but it is actually a very nice, but rustic place to stay. I have driven the road from Moab to Mesa Verde many times, don't know what you mean by "road from hell".

The entrance road into Mesa Verde park is not an easy, interstate type road, but it is not that difficult. People in huge RV's do it all the time.

You will be able to walk into the Spruce Tree House ruin and all of the Mesa Top ruins are easy walks. If you get tickets to do Cliff Palace, you will have to walk down a number of steep staircases, and then climb up a series of ladders in a crack in the rocks. I have taken people of all ages on that tour, but you are the one that can determine if you can do it or not.

I don't know what all is happening in Moab in July, but I would head somewhere else after a few days of the heat.

You can stay in Cortez if you do not want to stay in Mesa Verde, but I would highly reccomend Mesa Verde!!!

Have fun.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth the trip?

They call it road from hell because of it's highway numbering, 666. It's certainly easier than many mountain roads I've driven on! The road into the park on the Mesa is also very beautiful although some with fear of heights may be uncomfortable. The road's not too challenging unless you try to go in spring or fall where snow may be present.

And YES! It's worth a trip down (although I would suggest you stay either in the park or in Cortez the night before your day in the park. IMO, Mesa verda is one of the most fascinating and spectacular places in Colorado. Growing up I have been there over 10 times and each time find it exqually interesting. The place just has an aura to it that's hard to explain. If you're in Moab and have the time, it would be a shame to miss.

You shoudl be just fine iwth the climbing involved, most of the ruins are easy to get in and out of and you can do a majority of the touring from site to site by car. Only one ruin site required a little more climbing but was more heartpounding than physically challenging. As long as you're both able bodied, you'll be more than fine.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth the trip?

Hi

I think it would be a hard deciscion to take away one day from Moab and add one day Mesa Verde. Depends on how long your Moab stay is. There are some alternatives like Canyon de Chelly (already been mentioned) and Walnut Canyon NM east of Flagstaff and Montezuma/Tuzigoot. All three are on your way to Phoenix but they cannot beat Mesa Verde of course. Afa I know route 666 doesnot exist anymore. It's us491 now and I think it's a pity they renamed a classisroadnumber like that. It's all superstition.

Tet

5. Re: Is it worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mesa Verde National...