We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Llanes a bad place?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Is Llanes a bad place?

Hi, I've just read a recent review of Sablon's hotel in Llanes that suggests a women was sexually groped outside her hotel. Other reports speak of rude locals, Is this representative of the area or just a one off bad experience.

Thanks, Trevor

Asturias
Level Contributor
344 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

Are these facts ??????? Do you honestly think that because of your interpretation of a 'suggestion' that the town is rampant with perverts?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

I don't know if these are facts, that is why I asked the question? It was quite a shock to read such a provocative review.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

I'm with Mike!! That is certainly not the norm in the quiet, peaceful, pretty and friendly coastal town of Llanes!! Not heard these reports myself, guessing Mike hasn't either. Llanes is a lovely seaside town with great restaurants, lovely beaches and heavily reliant on tourism and therefore the wellbeing of its tourists.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

Thank you both. I really hoped that was the case. I'll book as planned.

I may surprise you to know that in some places unaccompanied women are considered 'fair game', not to the extent stated on the review but still unwarranted attention nonetheless.

T

Asturias
Level Contributor
344 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

Enjoy ....... a nice little seaside town and if you fancy exploring and don't wan't the hassle of driving, Llanes has a train station (run by Renfe-Feve), so you can hop on to visit other sea side towns ..... Ribadesella (35 mins) is nice as is San Vicente de a Barquera but the station for San V de B is a long walk outside of town ..... buy your tickets on the train. They are not very frequent ..... 3 trains a day in each direction.

If you get off at Ribadesella, walk across the bridge and then head north ...... there's a huge beach there.

Edited: 5:54 am, July 29, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

Trevor:

I have lived in Spain for the last 9 years and have never read in the news anything bad about Llanes.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

I would just like to confirm that Llanes is indeed a very nice place. Very safe and very friendly.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

I have visited Llanes more time than I care to mention since the 60's. We went with the family again last year and will do so this summer. Aside from the normal theft precautions that one would take on holiday, I'm hard pushed to think of a safer and more pleasant place to go for a holiday. Fab beaches, mountains and cheap restaurants. What's not to like?

Asturias
Level Contributor
344 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

Next time try the restaurante above the Commercial Trawler Market - La Loja

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Llanes a bad place?

I realise this thread started last year, but I just wanted to add my 2 euros worth:

Llanes is an amazing place, and as for Hotel Sablons - well, some will say the decor is a little tired, BUT you can't get a better sea view! Also, we've stayed here on numerous occasions, and have found everyone from the owner to the receptionists and cleaners to be hugely welcoming and friendly.

Back to Llanes though - one of our favourite things about the place is that no matter who you walk past, be it elderly or teens, you will always hear an 'hola, buenas'. The locals are friendly!

Some travellers who have a bad time when they are in a foreign country probably ask why me? That's the answer.. them!

I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Edited: 9:38 am, November 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Llanes
More Llanes Topics