We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta on Christmas Day?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta on Christmas Day?

We are traveling through Atlanta and will be there from the evening of December 24th through late afternoon on the 25th.

We are traveling with our 13 year old son.

Does anyone know:

1. What is open on chrismas, and

2. Where to stay/what to do for that one day?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

Virtually everything will be closed except for restaurants in the major hotels and movie theaters. It possibly will be very cold and rainy that time of year so outdoor activities are iffy too.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

My husband's suggestion: Waffle House and a movie. How good can it get?

(We ate at Waffle House three times on Christmas Day when we were visiting where we live now. Nothing else was open.)

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

Back when my wife and I were dating the 1st year we also ended up at Waffle house on Chrismas day due to nothing else being open.

Besides a movie....hmmmmm.....there's just not that much.

Some chnese restaurants stay open on Christmas.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

If you can tolerate the possible extreme cold (20s-30s), you could go by Centennial Olympic Park for ice skating or to view the lights display. Most of the major hotels have restaurants that'll be open as well.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

the lights are really pretty in Olympic Park, but yup, definitely bundle up. The aquarium website says they are open Christmas Day, so that might be something to do as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,637 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

We usually do our big family Christmas the week before Christmas, so my parents come to Atlanta to visit me on Christmas Eve/Day. There are several restaurants open, and we've always found good places to eat, especially on Christmas Eve. In the past we've eaten at Agave, One Midtown Kitchen and Two Urban Licks. McCormick & Schmicks in Dunwoody doesn't close for CHristmas. The Ritz and Four Seasons put on fabulous and pricey brunch spreads. We always do Waffle House for breakfast. I suggest you go to opentable.com closer to the date and use it to search for reservations. It will show you a lot of area restaurants that are open.

I believe the aquarium is open on Christmas, but it may actually have been Christmas Eve when we went last year. Movie theaters are definitely open. The ice skating rink at Centennial Park was open. In the evenign there are tons of lovely neighborhoods to ride around looking at Christmas lights. I recommend going on accessatlanta.com closer to Christmas and searching for events listed on those dates. It has a good search feature where you can search by date and category, and lists all varieties of entertainment.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

Well,

It looks like we might try to do the Georgia Aquarium on Christmas day, finally. Hopefully it won't be very crowded. I will, of course, make sure that it is open because I don't want to make the trip for nothing. I will be sure to report back. We usually wind up at a movie every year.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

We discovered that the Aquarium is open on Christmas Day. Where would you suggest we stay that is near the aquarium(walking distance) ?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

to the family that sid they were going to the Aquarium this Christmas - how old are your kids and when are you going?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlanta on Christmas Day?

Perhaps you are talking to me. I don't live in Atllanta and there would be no kids involved. I will have to travel more than an hour and a half away to get there. I have yet to go to the Georgia Aquarium because I am waiting for an opportune time to go.

Search under the green stripe for suggestions of hotels. There are many, suggestions, that is.