We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

I have an early morning flight and am considering driving down the night before and staying at a hotel. Do you have any recommendations for a SAFE hotel in which to stay and leave my car? I have seen many reviews saying cars are getting broken into, tires & rims stolen, etc. Would I be better off at the airport parking?

Thanks, I haven't flown in 20 years and Atlanta tears up my nerves. The combination of the two are starting to freak me out a little. :)

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

OK, I think I've solved my problem. Let me know if this sounds alright. I have stayed off on I-85 in the Buford and Duluth areas before and am comfortable navigating around there. I'm thinking of staying the night at one of the places I've been before. Then early the next morning drive on I-85 down to Peachy Parking and park my car. We'll take the airport shuttle to the airport so I won't have to try and figure all that out. I assume my car will be more secure at Peachy than if I stay at an airport hotel and leave my car there.

Does this sound like a solid plan for an Atlanta scardy cat?

Thanks!

Edited: 10:28 pm, July 07, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

What time is your flight? Driving from Buford to the Atlanta airport will take you an hour with no traffic, and depending on the timing, you may be doing it in the middle of morning rush hour. The morning commute on I-85 is particularly bad - if there is an accident or incident, then you could be stuck for a while.

No hotel is 100% safe, and no parking area is guaranteed free from vandalism. What airport area hotels were you looking at that had problems with this?

-JimG

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

Our flight is at 8:30, so I was going to get to Peachy Parking at 6:00. I didn't think about the morning traffic already being bad at that time. I'm glad you mentioned that.

I looked at a Holiday Inn, Drury Inn, etc. are there any hotels that offer shuttle service that are safer than others. Is all if that area sketchy?

Thanks so much!

Edited: 10:36 am, July 08, 2014
Georgia
Level Contributor
392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

I agree with above poster. I wouldn't stay on the north side of ATL and then navigate through rush hour. We've stayed at various park/fly hotels in the ATL area and never had a problem.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

I agree that I would not want to risk getting stuck in traffic coming in from Buford.

There's crime anywhere. It's why you buy insurance. It's hardly scientific to say that a hotel is safe because some people on the internet said they had no problems. If you want a true sampling of crime go to the police website. If you want to know whether someone "feels" safe, without even knowing that person, then I don't know what to tell you. I felt safe walking solo through Mexico City after midnight. I doubt you would. It's all subjective.

Has my car ever been broken into at an airport area parking lot? No.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

"Our flight is at 8:30, so I was going to get to Peachy Parking at 6:00"

That's a little early for an 8:30 flight, IMO. However, it will keep you out of the rush hour traffic, since you would need to leave Buford around 5:00 AM.

I don't know what your hotel budget is, but the Marriott Gateway has a Park-Sleep-Fly deal, and you can take the free SkyTrain right to the terminal:

marriott.com/hotels/…

You might also check out some of the deals on this website:

parksleepfly.com/atlanta-airport-hotels-with…

-JimG

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

stay at the renaissance concourse airport hotel, their parking is safe in my experience and they will shuttle you to the airport, it will save you all the driving time from buford.

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

Thanks for all the great responses! You all have saved me from a very bad idea. I won't be staying in Duluth or Buford. Now I'm searching for a moderate priced safe airport hotel. Love the Marriott Gateway but it's more than I'd like to spend. Thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

The Springhill Suites is adjacent to the Marriott and similarly connected to the Sky Train monorail. It ought to be less expensive.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels - Park & Fly - Safe to Leave Car?

We left our car at Springhill in March for 11 days with no problem.