We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxes

Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Taxes

Hi there,

We will start a new travel bussiness...no,not a travel agency but a travel bussiness where people could buy cheap vacations in Europe to Georgia and Florida and also South Carolina.

We have found some very nice deals but now my partner who lives in Atlanta says we have to add 25% taxes on top of the 10% state taxes we pay already.

That means a 35% taxes all together.

Does anyone knows how it realy works?

Its hard to believe that any gouverment would ask 35% taxes to invite tourists who then spend alot of money too.

According to my partner 35% would cover the taxes and then we havend even calculated the taxes here in Europe.

Hope to get a few good answers on this one because we all have to pay taxes...but 35% just for America??

USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxes

I do not know where he is getting the tax rates.

There are 7 percent sales taxes on merchandise and meals.

There are hotel taxes in Atlanta that may be higher than surrounding areas. Check with some hotels.

But nowhere near 35 %.

southeastern US
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxes

The room tax for lodging in GA is 9% and nearly all sales taxes are around 7%. I am pretty sure South Carolina is the same. Florida's hotel tax is 11% and the sales taxes are all 6-7%. You do not pay the hotel tax AND sales tax on your room. Just the hotel tax. Pretty much anywhere in the US, you should add roughly 10% to the room charge for tax.

Your partner in Atlanta is simply mistaken.