We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Atlanta to St John

Knoxville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight from Atlanta to St John

Is it international or domestic? As somewhat of an airport novice, I need advice. Where do I go when I get dropped off by a hotel shuttle and need to check a bag? Then what? Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

Are you asking about St. John the island in the USVI? Or St. John, New Brunswick? I wasn't aware there was a direct flight from Atlanta to St. John, the island in the USVI.

Edited: 12:30 pm, May 25, 2014
Knoxville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

True...I meant Atlanta to St. Thomas VI...then I take the ferry to St. John.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

I just made this flight a couple of weeks ago. You fly from Atlanta to St Thomas, and then take the ferry to St John. Even though it ought to be a domestic flight, you do need to take a passport. It leaves from and arrives at the domestic gates. On your return from St Thomas to the US, however, you do have to go through passport control. No idea why.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

Allow some extra time at the St Thomas airport when you return. Security and passport control is not well managed.

Knoxville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

I have researched the need for a passport and found that I don't need one. And I very much hope that is true because I don't have one and leave in less than 2 weeks!! I do have my DL and an original birth certificate. I'll do additional checking now.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

My GF's ex-husband works in St.Thomas. They have 2 children, a 21yo girl and 13yo girl. They flew from Miami(they live in Cocoa Beach) and neither needed a passport. Also, they were able to use Sprint cellphones w/o any international calling plans. I was surprised about that! I believe they did need Birth Certificates, or maybe just the younger one cause she has no "govt" issue ID.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

We took passports and the line where they were checked was called Passport Control but check the requirements to see if other ID will work. You do need the passport if you sail to BVI.

Edited: 5:36 pm, May 26, 2014
Knoxville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

Thanks !!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
120 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

The flights to STT today left from E concourse but they're listed as domestic flights. You should be fine checking in at the domestic terminal and going thru security there.

Knoxville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight from Atlanta to St John

Thank you very much.