We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SFBayArea
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Omni has a bigger room & better deal but looks like Midtown is a better area for restaurants & walkability?

1) Is it worth it to pay approx. $100 extra (total) to stay in midtown area?

2) How are breakfast choices, preferably walking distance, near these two hotels?

We will be visiting colleges, aquarium, coco-cola, and of course seeking great places to eat. BTW, girls do pay attention to the cool/sleek/etc. factor of hotels. thx.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Is this a big group of teens? If so I would go with the Omni because it has the adjacent CNN Center food court, which would be a great place for them to hang out together. If your group is small enough that you're all staying in the same room, this is less of a plus. That said, though, since you're interested in the attractions downtown, and since the Hilton Garden Inn is next to the interstate, removed from the "main drag" of midtown along Peachtree St, I don't see a huge geographical advantage to staying at the Hilton.

The Hilton is brand new and the Omni is a little dated, but neither is a hip, sleek, cool hotel. For that, look at the W, Loews, Renaissance, Twelve, or Glenn.

Re breakfast, let us know which hotel you pick and we'll make some suggestions in that area.

SFBayArea
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Mom, dad & two girls. Your reply has been very helpful, thanks. While I would love to book the Loews or Renaissance, I think I'll book the Omni (paid $$$ on the airfare due to last minute). Oh the kids these days will insta "Omni CNN" or a view of the Georgia Dome, etc. My 17 yr old is a big fan of Matt Ryan.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

I agree with the Omni for kids with the food court but with just a family either would work. How much more is the Loews? That would be a great option.

SFBayArea
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Loews & Renaissance were both $230+/day, Omni $99/day. No contest.

Look forward to hearing about breakfast recs near Omni. Thanks.

Edited: 2:55 pm, April 14, 2014
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

There aren't a lot of breakfast recs near the Omni.

The food court in the Omni and/or the restaurants in the Omni are your best bets.

Edited: 2:58 pm, April 14, 2014
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Lest you think we are not being helpful, here's an interactive map. Zoom in on the Centennial Park area and click on the restaurant options. There's not a lot to choose from near the Omni -

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/guide/dining

If you are interested in driving somewhere, West Egg is a great option -

http://westeggcafe.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

If you have a car, West Egg and Thumbs Up are great options. You're also pretty close to Ria's Bluebird. In walking distance, I agree that the food court is the best bet.

If you decide on midtown, I recommend: Empire State South is excellent; Highland Bakery and Bantam & Biddy are very good. The Flying Biscuit is OK. It's also not hard to get to West Egg from the Hilton Garden Inn.

SFBayArea
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate all of your input. I can't believe it didn't even occur to me to seek out "southern" breakfasts! I was drooling looking at West Egg's & Higland Bakery's menus. Hopefully, I can work them into our schedule!! Good to know about the Omni food court, appreciate convenience.

SFBayArea
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Just got an email from Omni notifying us of the Sweetwater 420 Festival this weekend. Of course they sent the friggin' email after the no penalty cancellation deadline had passed. No wonder I got a great rate. Ugh!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Omni CNN or Hilton Garden Inn Midtown with teens?

Atlanta is a happening place, and some of these happenings involve noise/music. I was excited to look it up and see Steel Pulse will be here Friday, I thought they were all retired/dead by now.

More probably the rate is because it is Easter. The Omni chain has some good sales at holiday weekends.