We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice neededfor first time visitor to Atlanta

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advice neededfor first time visitor to Atlanta

Hi all,

I'm making my first trip to Atlanta this summer from Ireland. It will be a solo trip, and am looking for advice from you please. I will probably stay for 4 nights, arriving Saturday May 31, 14:30 local time.

I will be renting a car but have never driven in the US before, never mind Atlanta, so hoping that I get around without a major incident. I've been looking at a few hotels in the midtown area which seem reasonable at first but then i discover they charge between $20-30 a day for parking. I know that MARTA runs through certain areas but not all. Ideally i'd prefer to avoid paying such high parking rates but Midtown seems to be so convenient.

is it easy getting from the airport to midtown by car - i was thinking of the Artmore hotel - do you think this would be a good place to base myself for the 4 nights? Don't want to go over budget on hotels so would like to keep it to $100-$120 a night.

In terms of sightseeing I would like to visit the MLK historic centre, Google maps tells me it's pretty close to west peachtree street - could i walk it? I read about the Atlanta City Pass and it seems like a good deal.

How about bars etc - I'm a 42 year old male, not into clubs really but wouldn't mind hearing a few recommendations from you if you know some good neighbourhoods/bars etc.

I really have a lot of questions and would be very grateful for any advice you have.

Thanks in advance - and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice neededfor first time visitor to Atlanta

The east-west MARTA line will deliver you to the heart of Decatur - look for trains labelled Indian Creek. Some of the trains on that line don't go all the way.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice neededfor first time visitor to Atlanta

You can do most of what you want to do using MARTA to get around.

To listen to music, you could go to Eddie's Attic in Decatur, although I prefer Eddie's new place in Duluth.

For Duluth, you'd need to drive or get a cab =

http://www.eddieowenpresents.com/about-eop/

Lincoln,California
Level Contributor
66 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice neededfor first time visitor to Atlanta

Check out the website VRBO. They offer alternative accommodations with reviews. Condo's, cottages, etc. Good luck.

Edited: 3:10 am, April 10, 2014
14. Re: Advice neededfor first time visitor to Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 12, 2015