We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

Friend of mine and I are thinking of heading down towards Atlanta over Labor Day weekend, en route to Florida, mainly to see some baseball.

Tentatively we'd be flying into Atlanta on that Saturday/Sunday and at least going to see the Braves play sometime that weekend.

I'd like to know where the decent places in town are to stay in relation to Turner Field...maybe a hotel around $75-$100 per night. In addition, how easy is it to get around Atlanta?

Far as things to do....maybe historical places to check out and the not so touristy places...and also perhaps unique, non-chain restaurants that might be known in the area.

Thanks!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

If you want something completely different, check out the Decatur Book Festival, the largest independent book festival in the country. www.decaturbookfestival.com.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

Labor Day weekend is also the occasion of Dragon.con, a massive gathering downtown.

So book your hotel yesterday.

I recommend parking and using MARTA to get around.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

Sorry, realized my contribution may have seemed less than positive, also I didn't read what you said.

You are flying in, will you be flying on to Florida or renting a car?

Also you should still totally come! Never before will you have seen so many Klingons on public transit.

But the downtown hotels do fill up.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

In addition to Dragon Con there is the Chick fil a kickoff classic that weekend. Hotel rooms will be at a premium. Book soon. I'd suggest reading the Top Questions and Things to Do tab to get ideas as to where to stay, what to do, and how to get around. Also the search bar on this forum will help you find prior discussions on related topics.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

The plan is to fly in and rent a car....thanks for the heads up about the stuff going on....

Also for the one who suggested the bookfair....that is something I'd definitely try and get to....have to see if it rivals our Printers Row Book Fair here in Chicago....

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

As I said, it is the largest independent book fest in the country and the 3rd largest overall, based upon number of authors participating (around 300) and number of attendees over 2 days (about 75,000).

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

Dragon con,college football, black gay pride, braves, nascar and music festival. Good luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

As of now, we are going to fly into Atlanta on Saturday and stay through Monday...not sure if we'll drive down to Florida or fly down, but still we'll be probably renting a car over the weekend at least....

How good is the public transit in Atlanta?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

MARTA is the local transportation network. Look at www.itsmarta.com .

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta

Also look at the Top Questions. There's one discussing MARTA v car rental.