We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need location help too

Little Rock
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I need location help too

Ok, I'm looking for a hotel and I don't know where to start. At hotels.com they list the following locations to narrow my search:

American Adventure White Water

Atlanta Amtrak Station

Atlanta Civic Center

Atlanta History Center

Atlanta Zoo

Buckhead

Carter Presidential Library

CNN Studios

College Park

Downtown

Emory Dunwoody Med Ctr

Emory University

Fernbank Science Ctr.

GA World Congress Ctr

Galleria

Georgia Aquarium

Georgia Dome

Georgia State University

Georgia Tech

Hartsfield Atlanta Arprt

High Museum of Art

Lenox Square

Marietta

Martin Luther King Jr. Ctr

Norcross

Perimeter Center

Philips Arena

SciTrek

Six Flags over Georgia

Smyrna

Stone Mtn. Park

Turner Field

Underground Atlanta

World of Coca-Cola

We have a big group of people both driving and flying in. Quite a few are coming from Europe. Does Atlanta have public transportation? They're not keen on the idea of renting a car so we'd like to have things available to walk to (bars, restaurants, attractions) or get to via public transportation. I've been told Atlanta is kind of spread out.

Can you please just point me in the right direction to start my hotel search. Thank you so much.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need location help too

Hi, Kitara. We'll help if we can.

Atlanta has limited public transportation (MARTA). If they don't want to rent cars, then that is going to limit the number of places you can go. The MARTA trains cover a limited area. You will not be able to go to Stone Mountain, Six Flags, the Atlanta Zoo or the Atlanta History Center on MARTA.

If you don't rent cars, then I suggest using the Midtown area as a homebase and using MARTA to get around. Midtown has a number of bars/restaurants and attractions. These include the High Museum of Art, Piedmont Park, the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, 14th Street Playhouse and more. It's also a fairly safe area. Atlantic Station, our newest shopping area, is easy to get to on a free shuttle at the Arts Center MARTA station. I would start your hotel search in the Midtown area. The Residence Inn Midtown and Residence Inn 17th Street are two hotels in that area that both get good reviews.

You can also take MARTA downtown to see the new Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke and CNN Center. I would avoid downtown after dark, especially Underground as it tends to attract a number of panhandlers.

You can also take MARTA up to Lenox Square Mall and Phipps Plaze for more shopping and good restaurants.

Hope that helps!

Little Rock
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I need location help too

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it!!

3. Re: I need location help too

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 15, 2009