We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend in Atlanta

7 posts
Save Topic
Long weekend in Atlanta

Hi, myself and my husband have the opportunity of going to Atlanta from Ireland for 3 nights next month. I am mainly interested in shopping and an wondering where is best to go and also which hotels would you recommend? I really am clueless and just want ideas on what people would recommend that would suit for a city break.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Underground Atlanta
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Shopping Malls
All Fired Up
Gift & Specialty Shops
Lucy's Market
Farmers Markets
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

If shopping is what you're looking for, then you want to be in the Buckhead area. Two large malls and several hotels within walking distance.

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

Stevedec has it right. Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza malls.

Look at hotels in the Buckhead neighbourhood and come back if you need more specifics.

And oddly enough for an affluent area in a car-centric city you can get all the way to Buckhead from the airport easily and cheaply on MARTA, the mass transit system.

Mentioned in this post
Lenox Square
Lenox Square
523 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Phipps Plaza
Phipps Plaza
121 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Buckhead
Buckhead
Georgia
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

Definitely Buckhead. As aforementioned, the two major malls (Lenox and Phipps) are both in Buckead and very close to one another. Only two blocks away and within walking distance of both malls is another shopping option, "Lenox Marketplace." This features a mixture of major (Target) and local retailers.

edens.com/centers/…Lenox-Marketplace

Edited: 11:13 pm, February 15, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Lenox
Lenox
Georgia
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

just out of curiusity,and maybe its a guy thing,but why do so many folks travel far distances just to go shopping.I see this on the NYC forum as well.Not being critical,just curiuos--is it the prices, the selection,just something fun to do??

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

Exchange rate

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

"you can get all the way to Buckhead from the airport easily and cheaply on MARTA"

Two stations, no waiting :-).

-JimG

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
Georgia
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

www.itsmarta.com

8. Re: Long weekend in Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 18, 2015