We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with hotel/train questions

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with hotel/train questions

I will be in town Feb. 7, leaving the 9th. I need to use a hotel with free parking and one that has access to Marta. Which one of following hotels would be the best choice?

Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Airport North

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport

Hampton Inn & Ste Atlanta Airport North I85

Hampton Inn Atlanta-Airport

I need to go to the Sheraton on Courtland Ave. Is this even possible?

Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

Are you driving to Atlanta? If so, why are you looking to stay near the airport? It is not a desirable area, surrounded by higher crime neighborhoods with little to offer by way of dining, shopping, nightlife. The hotels there are safe, but basically islands unto themselves. To get to MARA you'd have to take the hotel shuttle to the airport to get on the MARTA train there.

Why not pick a hotel in the Perimeter area, which will have free parking? You can drive or take the hotel shuttle to the Sandy Springs or Dunwoody MARTA stations, both of which have free parking, and take MARTA into downtown. You'll find that the Perimeter is a clean, safe, upscale neighborhood with countless restaurants and shopping opportunities.

I'd encourage you to read the top Questions on the right, which should give you a better understanding of Atlanta's neighborhoods.

Edited: 2:29 pm, January 14, 2014
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

I agree with J. Look at the MARTA map at www.itsmarta.com and you'll see several areas that have hotels near MARTA rail stations. Midtown and Perimeter would be the best places to start. There's no reason to be at an airport hotel unless you'll only be flying in and out.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

You need to provide us with a little more info about your plans. Are you attending a conference at the Sheraton? (is staying there not an option?). Are you driving or flying? If flying, will you have a rental car? Answers to these questions will help us give you the best advice.

The Sheraton is a short walk from the Peachtree Center MARTA station, which is serviced by the Gold Line at all times, and also by the Red Line during the day. Any hotel with good access to those lines should work for you.

-JimG

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,338 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

Why do you need free parking? Why not get a hotel room near the Sheraton and pay for (non-hotel) parking?

If you stay at one of the airport hotels you will have to -

1) ride a shuttle from the hotel to the airport

2) take MARTA to downtown

3) walk to the hotel from the MARTA station

OR 4) drive and pay for parking at the airport and then take MARTA

OR 5) drive to downtown and pay for parking near the Sheraton

Much easier just to stay closer to the Sheraton.

Any of the Hilton hotels you listed will be fine. A pain to get to and from, but fine.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

My husband works for a hotel chain and I can get an employee discount at some hotels. Not all hotels of that chain have rooms available or free parking for my time period. The Sheraton is too expensive and hotel parking costs too high for this trip.

I have a midtown room reserved, but parking is $22.00 per day. I was trying to find any way to cut my costs for this quick trip.

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

There are hotels within the Hilton chain in the Perimeter area, and they will have free parking. That's my recommendation.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

Stay in the Perimeter area and take MARTA to the Peachtree Center station. It's a couple blocks walk downhill to the Sheraton (uphill leaving, though).

I had a very bad experience staying at the Sheraton, so I think you're making a good decision not to stay there.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,338 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

There are plenty of parking lots in Midtown. You don't have to pay the $22 rate the hotel charges.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

"I have a midtown room reserved, but parking is $22.00 per day. I was trying to find any way to cut my costs for this quick trip."

"There are plenty of parking lots in Midtown. You don't have to pay the $22 rate the hotel charges."

Just be aware that these non-hotel lots won't have in/out privileges, so you'll have to pay each time you exit. That makes them impractical if you're planning on driving to the seminar. If you're staying in midtown, though, you should just take MARTA to the Sheraton.

10. Re: Please help with hotel/train questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 18, 2015