We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

As I am sure you have all heard, the Braves are moving from downtown to the area of 285/75 in Cobb. On the surface, this seems like a win-win, as getting to and leaving the TED has been a nightmare (traffic in, even if you have a parking pass; parking if you do not have a pass; the lack of public transportation; the lack of things to do in the area; the lack of hotels in the area; public safety in the area). But I wonder if the traffic situation will really be any better @ 285/75 on any given weeknight at 7pm, without public transportation ? What are your thoughts ?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

i think uill be worse traffic wise--i oiften go to Hawks games and about 90% of the time 285 west is stopped at N Peachtree rd going west-- i cant imagine itll be an easy commute.the 75/85 route downtown has

more lanesand seems to move,albeit slowly.I live in dunwoody and would probably take 120 across to avoid the mess. Cobb county hasnt stepped up finacially yet, so Ill believe this when they sign up/I think its a fake to get pressure on Fulton County to stepup to a new stadium

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,368 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

stupid

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,590 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

I agree. The explanation that Turner Field has poor public transit access was laughable.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
705 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

Though I hate to think what this will do to the commute in that area, it will be fantastic for businesses in that Cumberland corridor. Cumberland has been dying a slow, prolonged death, and this is certainly the infusion it needs to bring it back to life.

One of the big complaints about the two existing Atlanta sporting venues (Turner Field and the Dome/Philips Arena) is that there is not a whole lot to do in the immediate area. There isn't much in the way of restaurants nearby, and neither venue is certainly in a neighborhood where many people want to stay and hang out following the game. The draws to those areas are limited during non-sporting events as well, though the addition of the Aquarium and World of Coca Cola have certainly helped at the Dome. Hopefully this new stadium will create more of an atmosphere that encourages people to patronize surrounding businesses.

Logistics of building and funding a new stadium, creating a successful traffic plan and infusing businesses to support the endeavor aside, I think the location is actually really good. I saw one of the maps that showed where the largest concentrations of game attendees live - the vast majority are from the north metro suburbs. It will certainly be far more convenient to a lot of people.

In the end, I think it is one of those things that people will raise holy hell about in the initial stages, but when that gorgeous, new, state-of-the-art stadium is open, attendance will be at record highs and Atlanta will have a fantastic new venue to share.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,368 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

Right.

Love the disclosure that taxpayers are paying millions in current improvements -

wsbtv.com/news/…

But a bright shiny new ballpark is going to make it all better. Right.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

Bottom line, if Liberty Media doesnt increase payroll theyll be a lousy team and no one will come out.I know John Malone the CEO of Liberty and hes only using this as a tax dodge, and really doesnt care about winning,so theres no way they have a payroll to win. Hes laughing his *** off at Cobb building him a new stadium,thatll in theory increasethe value of the team (because of the new stadium)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

My husband would be able took into the future stadium from his office. I predict he has a new job by then.

There have been many studies that the taxpayer funding shelled out to keep teams is never earned back in full. And now there are 2 teams doing that to the taxpayer base.

But at least the Braves aren't moving to a Canadian tundra.

8. Re: The Braves are moving to Cobb County -- Thoughts ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 25, 2014