We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Help

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Help

Aiight. BubbaQ’s got a birthday on Friday and he’s pulled a fast one on me. Instead of him picking the place for dinner, he’s left it up to me.

I’m not a fulltime Atlanta resident so there may just be some stuff out there that I don’t know about.

IMHO, he likes pretty basic food, and heaven forbid if there’s a salad or vegetable involved. He likes Mexican food, Steaks, Lobster, Scallops, Cajun and Jamaican food. Oh and standard bar food ala Jocks, Frankie’s, Barnacles, Taco Mac and Rock bottom Brewery. I think he could live on Mellow Mushroom Pizza, but I’d like to skip pizza for this occasion.

BubbaQ likes good portions, and doesn’t care for “food for show” meaning the stuff that looks pretty on a plate but is only a couple of mouthfuls.

Any type of ambience is fine. We’re in the Brookhaven and since this will be Friday night, I’d like to avoid having to get on 285, but we’re not opposed to riding Marta.

Any recommendations? If they have killer desserts, all the better.

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Help

I think that Haven in Brookhaven is excellent (and very close to you). It's a touch eclectic and fancy, but generally offers solid staples and user-friendly food. The dining area is lovely, but not at all stuffy or pretentious. I recall getting good portions, and there are always sides and appetizers to fill up on. You can check out the menu here: http://www.havenrestaurant.com/

Sister restaurant/ bar Mix! is a great place to have some pre-dinner drinks and appetizers.

Also, although it will be a bit of a drive to Cabbagetown, Agave has large portions and excellent southwestern/Mexican fare: http://www.agaverestaurant.com/

For Cajun food (actually Creole I think) Redfish is getting rave reviews. I haven't been yet but have a couple of friends who loved it. http://www.redfishcreole.com/

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Help

thanks for the great suggestions. Now that I'm not there all the time I tend to forget about the places I want to go to as well ... so thanks for knocking Agave back up on my list. (I don't know hopw I can forget tequila).

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Help

i hardily reccomend either greenwoods in roswell or it's across the street neighbor, the swallow at the hollow. greenwoods has vegeatbles to die for, not so much soul food as it is more like what momma put ont he table for sunday dinner when company was coming over. the swallow at the hollow has exceptional pork, a fine beer selection, delicious sides and a not to be believed porabella mushroom entre. bbq, beans and stew are all well received and served up in generous portions.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining Help

Try Dantanna's across from Lenox Mall...its near your house. They've got steak, seafood, etc. Decent sized portions...and you can watch the game on their flat screens as its technically a sports bar. However, its not your typical sports bar...think dark wood, cigar room, the food I mentioned, etc. In other words its a little more upscale. I hang out there once every other week or so.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining Help

thanks for the additional great ideas. Dantanna's isn't quite what I'm looking for (and we've been there a few times before), though Greenwoods might go on the short list. We've been there and have enjoyed it.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining Help

What about one of the Brazilian steak houses? We like the Boi Na Braza on Peachtree and the Fire of Brazil at Perimeter. The gauchos bring about a dozen different kinds of meats to your table. There is a fabulous salad bar with mashed potatoes and gravy if he doesn't like vegetables. The desserts were great too at the Boi Na Braza the last time we went. We got one because we had a coupon that included a free dessert with each meal. I got the turtle cheesecake and my husband had key lime pie. Normally we skip the desserts but we couldn't turn down free.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining Help

Can't disagree there, the Brazilian Steak House are pretty good. But we're actually going with our first love and haeding to Agave.

I'm just sooo bummed that I'll be doing the driving, but I'll make the sacrafice for the birthday boy. ) =

8. Re: Dining Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 15, 2009