We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Andalusia, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

Hi all, we will be coming from Montgomery (I85) early Saturday morning for the game and DragonCon. We do not have a hotel, but was wondering where would be the best Marta station to park that would be fairly safe for coming back after game. Thanks in advance

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

Lindbergh has the most parking, and is in a safe area. It is a little further north than you need to go and would require you to change trains. But, a nicer and safer area.

The MARTA stops south of downtown would be more convenient for your drive home, although the neighborhoods aren't as safe. I'd have no concerns about riding MARTA after the game, and the odds are heavily in your favor that your car would be safe. But to the extent that it comes down to comfort level, I'd be more comfortable at Lindbergh.

Another idea is Inman Park or Candler Park. Both are a few miles east of where you need to be, but you would not have to change trains, and they offer fairly quick access to I-20 or I-75/85. The neighborhoods are safe as well.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

The College Park station would be a good option. If you haven't looked already, MARTA info is at www.itsmarta.com .

Andalusia, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

Thanks y'all. I was also wondering about parking near the Georgia Dome. Since DragonCon and the game are all within walking distance. Would this be a good idea?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

That's what I'm doing, but I have access to a private lot. If you park near the Dome, you'll need to be prepared to pay and to drive around some looking for a spot. Also, I would avoid parking in the residential neighborhoods just west of the Dome, which are higher crime areas. Stick closer to the Dome itself and to the downtown area.

I think you'll find that it's not insanely crowded on arrival because people will drift into the area throughout the day to tailgate or go to Centennial Park, but that after the game there's a solid mass of traffic. I avoid that by parking on Marietta Street, east of the Dome.

If you do take MARTA to the game and park along one of the north/south lines, my advice is to walk to the Peachtree Center Station instead of getting on at the station at the Georgia Dome. It's about a ten minute walk, and you won't have to wait in line or change trains at Five Points.

Andalusia, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

I was thinking of purchasing a yellow lot parking ticket ($25) from the Georgia Dome. I was thinking I am either gonna have to wait in traffic in the car or wait for Marta. Would that be good or do you have another recommendation of one of the other lots? They all seem to be between $20 and $30 and I wouldn't have to drive around looking for a lot.

Andalusia, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

On a side note, we will be arriving around 8AM to attend DragonCon, if that makes a difference. Ideally, it would be nice to be able to return to the vehicle during the day, but I was told you cannot return to the car in the dome parking lots.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

when i go the falcons games i just park on the west side of Northside Dr .Agree dont go into residential area--a little rough in there---but heres plenty of parking off Northside if you get there at least an hour before.If youre a worrier than get the yellow lot ticket--scope out where the exit lanes are out of the lot and park so you can go directly out Assuming your Bama fan, do a google search to see if theres a parking lot party for Bama fans and park there.That might require you to be there 2 hours early,but itd be more fun

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

The Yellow Lot ticket is a good deal. I doubt you'll find anything much cheaper, and you'll have the advantage of it being an official and organized parking lot with security. Yes, you'll have to wait out traffic at the end of the game, but you might prefer to wait in your own car rather than standing in line for MARTA. And, the wait you'd experience would probably be less than the item it would take to use MARTA to get to another station to retrieve your car. I'd go for it.

There is an official alumni tailgate party on the lawn right outside of the Georgia Dome, and I can give details for that if you're interested. It's $50 a person. But, there will be lots going on at Centennial Park and along Peachtree to entertain you as well. I love watching people walking around in their Dragon Con costumes. Getting to the area so early, you'll probably have no trouble getting into a sports bar for pre-game festivities (Taco Mac, Hudson Grille, and Dantanna's are the most convenient; Stats is the nicest).

Andalusia, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

Well, just called GWCC and was told that yellow lot did not open until 3:30 PM and Red lot was disabled only. So, that makes those not an option since we will be arriving so early. Any other parking options near the Dome that y'all would recommend. Thanks so much for the replies so far.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Marta for Bama vs Virginia Tech

When you drive around you'll see tons of parking decks and parking lots. One that I would suggest is the lot on the northwest corner of Marietta St and Baker St, which is a new pay lot just across from Stats sports bar. It's at 311 Marietta Street.

If you want to tailgate, you'll find plenty of surface lots along Luckie Street between Spring and Centennial Olympic Park Drive.

Really, though, at that time you can just show up and drive around. There are many lots, and they'll all have signs out front advertising their rates. You'll have your choice of options.