We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants Downtown

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants Downtown

Staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown and need some ideas for dinner on Friday night. Meeting up with some friends who don't want to break the bank. Any ideas? Thoughts on Uncle Julios? TIA

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Restaurants Downtown

I'm going to go against what I normally recommend. Since you're from Columbia, the BBQ we have here is not worth your time. And the meat and threes like Mary Mac's and Colonnade won't be any better than what you get in Columbia either. The upscale southern listed like Empire State South would be worth it, but the question is whether you want something that's a duplication of what you get at home, albeit an outstanding duplication at Empire State.

Even though Fogo is a chain, it's a chain out of Brazil. It's churrascaria done right (something my husband sought out after trips to Sao Paolo) and better than the imitations. And that experience is a fun one. I don't think there is one in SC, so I think that's a good plan. Make sure you try a capirinha if you go.

What we do better here than in Columbia when it comes to cheap eats is ethnic food since the population has become so diverse. If you're ok driving, try some of the Asian places listed in the list of cheap eats.

Edited: 9:56 am, August 09, 2013
22. Re: Restaurants Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 11, 2014