We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

Just Outside...
Level Contributor
57 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

We will be visiting Atlanta for a weekend and are planning on attending a Braves game on Friday night. We are staying in the Buckhead area and have been told by many locals to utilize MARTA. After some research, I am now more confused. The only thing that is clear to me is taking the red line to Five Points and walking to catch the shuttle at Steve Polk Plaza. Getting back is what has me baffled.

The MARTA website states that the red line only runs between Lindbergh and North Springs after 7pm. We will be 10ish returning. I would appriciate any help in telling me how to get back from Turner Field.

Please forgive me for these questions. We live in Nashville where the Public Transportation options are slim. If it would be better for us to drive that's fine too. I've just heard to take MARTA becuase the traffic is horrible.

Thanks in advance for any and all help !

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

Where in Buckhead will you be travelling from? Are you sure you'll be using the Red line and not the Gold line? If you do need the Red line, then on your return your will ride the Gold line to Lindbergh and transfer there to a Red line train. Also note that the Braves shuttle buses will load across the street from Turner Field and will drop you directly at Five Points, so you won't have to walk from Polk Plaza.

If you haven't already, check the MARTA website at www.itsmarta.com .

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

It is easier than it sounds.

If you need the "other" train, get off at Lindbergh and normally you just stand right there on the same side of the same platform until the next train comes.(Sometimes they are working on the lines and run all trains on the same line. This is called single tracking. Just follow the crowd.They won't know any more than you but you'll have company.)

There are two stations in Buckhead and they are on two different lines. (Not to mention "Buckhead is a somewhat elastic location designator so oyu may be somewhere else)

The imaginatively named "Buckhead" station is on the red/North Springs line. The station is near the Intercontinental and Embassy Suites hotels.

The "Lenox" station is on the gold/Doraville line. This station is near the JW Marriott and the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead.

The trains show their final destination on the front.

If you happen to be driving to the train, there is parking at Lenox but not at Buckhead.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

traffic driving isnt bad,esp on a weekend.Get there for batting practice, and itll be very easy.I can tell you how to go if you rather drive both ways.In leaving the game, its a key to park in the blue lot.PM me if you want directions.I have some back issues and waiting for the varuous busses and trains just kills me so i always drive

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

I disagree with the traffic isn't bad on weekends comment. Most of the time, that's true. It's not been true recently due to construction and there are other events in town that will be adding to the traffic going through downtown this weekend. Driving may not be your best bet this weekend.

wsbradio.com/news/news/atlanta-traffic/nC7qX/

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

Here's what the local newspaper has to say -

ajc.com/news/…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,471 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

I agree that it depends on the weekend. The flip side of OMR's point is that MARTA runs less often and schedules track repairs/maintenance on weekends, so it could take you longer to get back. For example, Saturday I decided to take MARTA to midtown rather than driving. When I arrived at 5 Pts intending to get on the 6:35 northbound train, the 6:35, 6:45, and 6:55 just never arrived. I had to take the 7:05. I could have walked to midtown in that amount of time.

If delays either because of traffic or MARTA are going to significantly inconvenience you, I would just check one of the websites linked above on your particular weekend to see whether traffic delays and congestion, and whether there is scheduled MARTA maintenance/single tracking.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

Braves,aren't even home this weekend so the link to ajc is irrelevant. Just check when yore here on 511com and it'll give you updates on traffic.I go to many braves games go to all hawks games and always drive. Weekends usually are half the traffic of weekdays. But Friday are the worst. So if you're going on Friday check the traffic

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

I agree. Non-construction weekends are a breeze downtown.

They've been doing a lot of construction lately. Check to see what's happening when you are here.

Just Outside...
Level Contributor
57 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

Thanks to everyone that has given feedback. After looking here, I have now determined that we are staying between the gold and red line and are pretty much equal distance to two separate stations. So, it's not as confusing now :)

We will be in town next weekend and will be checking the traffic before we decide.

Again, thanks to you all for your help.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using MARTA from Buckhead for a Braves game

ok sent the PM on how to drive to the game and which lot to park in