We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor

Sunderland
Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor

Firstly, please forgive my ignorance if my questions seem rather silly, I am planning a very brief visit to Atlanta with my family - husband and two sons age 18 and 5. The main reason for our visit is the aquarium - how good is it? Worth our time? We will actually be hiring a car and driving on to Orlando, so we've a long drive ahead of us after our 3 nights in Atlanta!

secondly - is Stone Mountain worth a day visit in the summer? And could we get there in a day from a city hotel?

And finally - the drive! We know it's a long way, but are there any suggested stops en route to make it more bearable?

I really would appreciate any tips on any aspects of our oh so brief visit. I'm a big planner and trip advisor has never let me down! Thank you so much.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor

The Aquarium, yes it is worth it. Stone Mtn is about 30-45 minutes from downtown depending on route and traffic; the laser show is the best part. Orlando is 8-10 hours depending on stops, speed, and traffic. Not much to see between the two as both states are pretty agricultural in those areas. There is a small amusement park near valdosta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor

I think the aquarium is truly remarkable, and would encourage you to visit.

I'm a little unclear on your route, though. Are you saying you'll be in Atlanta anyway or that you'll be driving from Orlando for the sole purpose of going to the aquarium?

Stone Mountain is easy to visit in a day, and the view from the top of the mountain, which you can reach by hiking or a gondola, is pretty cool. I'm not really a fan of the laser show, especially after the spectacular shows Disney puts on, but it's a pleasant enough way to spend the evening if you have kids. I suspect that your 18 year old will be bored, but the 5 year old will enjoy it.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor

Hi, we are possibly flying to Atlanta and will have three nights there before driving to Orlando. I must admit I find the long drive a bit daunting with a five year old. Would there be anywhere to stay over and split the journey/ And what about temperatures in Atlanta? Do we expect same as Orlando or even hotter?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor

www.weather.com or www.weatherunderground.com would be the best source for weather forecasts and historical weather trends. We can only speculate, and are far less qualified than the experts.

If you'll look here, there are a lot of suggestions for breaking up the drive between Atlanta and Orlando:

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Edited: 12:34 pm, July 15, 2013
Sunderland
Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor

That's great thanks. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

6. Re: First time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:12 am, September 08, 2013
7. Re: First time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 09, 2014