We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel, please!

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotel, please!

We will be in Atlanta on July 12th and 13th and are trying to decide where to stay. We will be going to the Summer Arts Festival at Greenbriar Mall, Junkman's Daughter, Gallery 63, Scott's Antique Market at the Atlanta Expo Center, The Varsity and Piedmont Park for the Street Food Festival. Those locations are not in the same area of the city and since the Braves are in town we want to avoid the stadium area. Any suggestions? We don't need fancy, just clean and it would be nice if breakfast was included. Thanks for any information you can provide!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotel, please!

Your destinations are kind of spread out all over the place. If you do not want high cost or downtown hassle, I'd move out to the northern perimeter in either the Cumberland Mall or Perimeter Mall area. These areas both have a huge selection of great hotels due to the big companies with offices there. BUT, on the weekend you'll typically find cheaper rates as their occupancy is low due to not being in a touristy area.

Look at any of your favorite chains by doing a google map search around "Dunwoody, GA" or "Vinings, GA". The former is at the intersection of Highway 400 and I-285, the latter is at I-75 and I-285, so you'll have quick access to the highways to get to your destinations.

If you want to be closer to the middle of the action and dont mind paying a few extra bucks, search in Buckhead, GA. Never know, you might find a bargain.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotel, please!

I do not disagree with Ricky, but would add that since most of your destinations are along I-20 or south of there, you could look at Douglasville or McDonough/Stockbridge areas for much cheaper alternatives. You will not have as much to do around your hotel, but could save $$$. Otherwise, the Perimeter Mall area gives you more to do.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotel, please!

Just to clarify, Ricky L is referring to the neighborhood of Atlanta called Buckhead, not the separate city of Buckhead, Georgia, to which TA has linked. My thoughts on the neighborhoods are set out in the Top Questions on the right so I won't repeat those. I'd just say that where you choose to stay depends on whether you value price or quality of life more.

Is the Arts Festival at Greenbriar the purpose of your trip? If not you might want to look into alternatives, as it's a comparatively seedy mall. You can see if there are other festivals by looking at the calendars on accessatlanta.com.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotel, please!

Thank you for all the great suggestions! We are actually coming to the area from Illinois, to pick up a box trailer in Douglas, Georgia and thought since we were driving 12 hrs, we should take some time to enjoy ourselves, too. I looked at the events calendars to find the things we have planned. Just tried to find things that will be happening while we will be there. Had no clue about the Greenbriar Mall area, so thanks for the heads-up.

We are really interested in Scott's Antique Market and hope it's as good as it looks, so we may focus more of our time there. We are looking forward to exploring Atlanta. Thanks again for your help!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotel, please!

Scott's is as good as it looks and very well could consume all your time. Make sure you get to both buildings.

The previous advice about staying in Stockbridge or McDonough is good - they're both just down I-75 from the Scott's locations.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hotel, please!

I work very close to Scott's, and fwiw I would recommend looking at an airport-area hotel. That's what we suggest to our visitors after we heard too many complaints about Stockbridge and McDonough (which is 20 miles from the perimeter) and its traffic. I've been put up at the Country Inn at the airport (south location) and its right on both 285 and 85, convenient to where you're wanting to go and cheap. Not a whole lot to do in the immediate vicinity, though. Out-of-towers may hear nightmare stories about 285 traffic but this is the rare area that isn't affected by it.

Fwiw, there are good Vietnamese and Mexican restaurants, among the best the city offers, around Scott's.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with hotel, please!

Agree that Scott's is quite an event. Have fun!

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with hotel, please!

I ended up reserving a room at Double Tree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Northlake on La Vista Rd. Unfortunately, there's some kind of huge apparal show and the entire Buckhead area is booked or out of my price range. I hope we're not disappointed, but at least it's in the northern part of Atlanta, just off I 285, so I'm hoping it will be okay.

Do I need to cancel and book a better location?

Can't wait to look at Scott's -- sounds like our kind of place!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with hotel, please!

That area is fine. The restaurant there is actually very good. Locals go to eat there, which is rare for hotel restaurants.

http://marlowstavern.com/about

A good, inexpensive option is nearby - Jason's Deli

http://www.jasonsdeli.com/

A very good, locally owned Italian restaurant is nearby -

http://bambinellispizza.com/

A good option for breakfast and/or BBQ -

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35322-d20…

If you want an old-fashioned meat plus three kind of restaurant, drive into the little town of Tucker to Matthews. Real, home cooked southern cooking -

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35322-d50…

http://www.matthewscafeteria.com/

And if you want to see a movie and eat at the same time, the Movie Tavern is across the street too -

http://movietavern.com/

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with hotel, please!

Your hotel, though in a good location, is on the opposite side of town from Scott's and a 30 minute drive around the I-285 perimeter highway.