We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

Trento, Italy
6 posts
Save Topic
Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

Hi, I'm from Europe and I will be traveling next week to Atlanta for a conference. I will be staying in Hyatt Regency down town.

Since the schedule of the conference will be from 8 am to 6 pm, my free time would only be on the day of my arrival, on the day of my departure and then in the evenings after conference.

I would like to use the 2 free days to visit coca cola, aquarium and the CNN center (any other suggestions? )

Thus, i'm left with the evenings of weekdays to go around for city sightseeing and shopping.

Would it be safe to travel around shopping areas for a solo female traveler from 6 to 9 pm?

I will be traveling with marta/taxi/walking from my hotel.

What are the suggested areas and must avoid areas? (this thread from 2005 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898-i104-k62883… seems to list a lot of area to avoid, is that still the case in 2013?)

My shopping interest would be on electronics and cosmetics, any specific suggested shopping places for these?

For cosmetics, I also read about Estee Lauder CCO in Discover Mills Mall that I would like to visit. Would it be safe and possible to visit this place from my hotel in the evening?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Trento, Italy
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

Additional edit: Also this thread (virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Unit…) shows lots of must avoid areas, are those still true?

Thank you.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

If you had a rental car and left at 6pm, you'd get at Discover Mills by 7pm and would have time to shop.

Trying to get there via public transport is complicated because it's far away from where you are.

Consider shopping at Atlantic Station in Midtown. Take MARTA and then the quick shuttle over to Atlantic Station.

For lots of shopping, take MARTA to Lenox Square Mall. Fabulous shopping, with many stores carrying Estee Lauder products.

If you want to try public transport out to Discover Mills, take an afternoon off from your conference and get an earlier start.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

Regarding safety, I would say that generally the more unsafe areas, including those listed in the Virtual Tourist discussion, are those where you would never find youself as a tourist anyway. I would not have safety concerns in midtown, Buckhead, Virginia Highlands, Decatur, Little Five Points, Inman Park, west midtown, or the northern suburbs. Generally if an area is sketchy, it looks sketchy. That goes for downtown too. While I wouldn't have extraordinary concerns walking around after dark in downtown, I would stick to more prominent well-lighted streets, avoid or decline panhandlers, not wear flashy jewelry or purses, keep phone out of view, etc. Just use normal precautions. When I'm traveling I like to use a cross-body purse just to add a little extra security in case I'm distracted by navigating a new area. But we don't have the huge pickpocketing problem you'd find in the extremely touristy parts of European cities like Barcelona, Rome, Paris, probably because we don't have the density or the volume of tourism.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

For electronics, try Best Buy or Wal-Mart. For make-up, try Sephora, Ulta (a little less upscale but has a broad range of brands, not Estee Lauder), or any department store, like Macy's, Dillard's, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Saks, which all have separate counters for each brand of make-up, including a full selection of Estee Lauder. I know you have Sephora in Italy, but you'll find much better prices here (2 months ago I paid 15 euros for shampoo in Sephora in Italy and the same brand costs $7USD in Sephora here).

Trento, Italy
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

@onemoreroad

Thank you very much!

I don't drive and I think 1 hour ride (possibly in taxi?) would be too much anyway, so I think I'll stick with Atlantic Station and Lenox Square Mall that you suggested. Thank you very much!

@JAtlanta

Thank you very much! That's quite comforting to hear. I will be careful. Thanks for your information!

One more question, I forgot to mention that with my flight arrival time I will be going from the airport to downtown around 9 - 10 pm.

Would it be safe to just use MARTA to go from the airport to the hotel or should I use taxi instead?

(http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60898-s206/Atlanta:Georgia:Health.And.Safety.html: "MARTA: Solo female travelers might want to select an alternate form of transportation in the evenings")

Thank you very much once again for your help!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

At 9pm I would take MARTA downtown. It's heavily used by airport passengers and employees, and few will get off the train before downtown. Just sit near some other airport riders and have comfort in numbers.

Trento, Italy
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

@JAtlanta

Yes, I read about these huge price differences! I'm very much looking forward to visit a Sephora in US!

Thank you very much for your complete list of places for makeup!

I was actually planning to visit the Estee Lauder CCO to get MAC brands not Estee Lauder.

I read that I should be able to get it in the Bloomingdale's and Macy's that you mentioned. Therefore I think I'm good :D

And thank you for the assurance about MARTA at 9 pm! I will follow your suggestion. I feel much safer now.

Thank you so much once again for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Edited: 8:43 am, June 07, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

The Macy's at Lenox Square has a separate little shop for MAC. I think you'll be spoiled for choice.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

The Hyatt is attached to the Peachtree Center via a sky bridge. That means you can walk from the second floor of your hotel via a sky bridge (over the street) to Peachtree Center Mall. The MARTA station is there too (on Peachtree street). It's a safe (and dry if it's raining) way to move around downtown.

The food court is open during lunch (for the office workers). The Mall there is very small with limited shops but you may like checking out some of the stores.

You will find a variety of stores at Atlantic station including Target and IKEA a bit down the road.

You will be blown away by the number and variety of stores at Lenox Mall. Enjoy!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo female traveler, is it safe to travel around 6 to 9 pm?

www.peachtreecenter.com/images/DwntwnMap.jpg

http://www.peachtreecenter.com/Mall-home.htm

Not open in evenings though