We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars to Euros??

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars to Euros??

Besides the airport, leaving for Europe in a week, anyplace around ATL that has a good exchange rate? ATL airport would be last on my list.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars to Euros??

Bof A usually did well--for me,id always use an ATM in europe to get Euros once i landed

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars to Euros??

We've used American Express offices before, but your best rate will be through an ATM once you land in Europe. Just make sure your bank knows you'll be out of the country.

Edited: 10:53 am, May 11, 2013
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars to Euros??

Ok thanks, just wanted some euros to get started.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,657 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars to Euros??

I agree. I had just a little bit - in case of emergency - and then exchanged when I got there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,849 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars to Euros??

I agree with the above. I usually go to the Amex office in Buckhead to get a little money just in case, then withdraw Euros at an ATM when I land. Be sure to call your bank and tell them you're traveling abroad. I went to Barcelona - solo - last year and forgot to call. I had zero dollars, zero euros, and my atm card got frozen bc it triggered a fraud alert. Once my bank in the US opened I sorted it out easily, but had to get a cash advance on my credit card at great expense to get through the morning.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars to Euros??

i lost my passport in Paris once--- went toAmexoffice near the Gran Hotel and they were extermely helpful--luckily i had a copy of the passport page that has your picand allthe numbers in my wallet

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars to Euros??

Do you have a Bank of America account? I would recommend getting some Euros in advance from your local branch to get you started. I typically bring enough Euros to cover transportation costs to my hotel plus a little extra. Then, as the others suggested, use an ATM machine in your destination city.

BoA does not charge any fees to withdraw from ATMs and the exchange rates are typically good.

Edited: 11:18 pm, May 11, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars to Euros??

Just to clarify, BofA does not charge if you use their partner bank. From this link choosing International Locations, you get the list below. …bankofamerica.com/locator/…LocatorAction.do

BNP Paribas (France)

BNL Banca Nazionale Del Lavoro (Italy)

Barclays (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands)

Deutsche Bank (Germany)

Scotiabank (Canada and the Caribbean, Caribbean countries include: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles (St Maarten), St Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands)

Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)

I've successfully used a partner bank in France, Canada, and the Cayman Islands. My routine is to hit the ATM at the airport if possible. I have to admit I felt like a native when I did it. ;)

Edited: 8:57 am, May 12, 2013
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollars to Euros??

No B of A account.....BB&T plus several other cards.

Thanks for your comments

10. Re: Dollars to Euros??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 14, 2014