We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe and unsafe areas

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
1 post
Save Topic
safe and unsafe areas

My wife and I will be visiting Atlanta for the first time in early April. We are staying for two weeks and hope to take in as many of the attractions as possible. We are staying in the downtown area.

Could you please advise us as to the afe and unsafe areas of the city.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe and unsafe areas

Early April is usually fantastic, weather-wise. My husband's Canadian family usually wilt in the heat if they come during the summer. :)

"Safe" is kind of relative ... but generally speaking you'll be fine in most of the touristy areas. Downtown (which includes CNN, World of Coca-Cola, MLK Historic Site, Centennial Park etc) is fine during the day but gets kind of sketchy and depressing at night. I wouldn't be afraid to walk around there after dinner if I was with friends, but pay attention where you're going and keep your wits about you. The areas by the zoo and Turner Field can be a little questionable, but it's not like there's any way you could accidentally wander there by yourself at night.

Generally Midtown, Buckhead and Virginia Highlands offer better dining and nightlife options and less panhandler harassment, so unless you're locked in to your hotel reservations I might suggest staying in these neighborhoods for convenience. Midtown is the most walkable; in Buckhead you will most likely need a car or cab. There are some questionable characters in Midtown but I've never really been bothered like I have downtown.

By the way, if you've got two weeks to visit I hope you're not spending the entire time in Atlanta ... it's a great city but I'm not sure what I'd do here as a tourist for two full weeks. There's plenty more to the south. From Atlanta, you're only about 4-5 hours from Savannah and Charleston (my favorite) and a shorter drive from N. Georgia and Tennessee mountains. There are also lots of cute smaller towns w/in an hour or two ... Madison and Athens come to mind. If you're coming with "Gone with the Wind" in your head, you'd probably be happier if you get out of Atlanta for a few days.