We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Time on Emory visit

Southern california
Level Contributor
40 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Free Time on Emory visit

My daughter and I are visiting Emory this April and because we arrive on Friday evening and her tour is not until Monday morning we have some free time to enjoy the city. We were thinking of staying at the Emory Conference Center but I am wondering if that is too far away from other fun stuff? On the other hand I would like her to get a realistic view of what it would be like to attend the school and live in the area. Neither of us has been to Atlanta and we are from Southern California so would love to see historical Atlanta, we have plenty of shopping malls here!

Underground Atlanta
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Shopping Malls
All Fired Up
Gift & Specialty Shops
Lucy's Market
Farmers Markets
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

Will you have a car? If so, I think it's a good idea to stay near Emory to let her get a feel for student life. If you're relying on taxis and public transportation, that could be difficult logistically.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

Re: what to see, I'd suggest: Lenox Square Mall, Phipps Plaza, downtown Decatur, the Virginia Highland neighborhood, Emory Village, Little Five Points, PIedmont Park

Mentioned in this post
Phipps Plaza
Phipps Plaza
121 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Decatur
Decatur
Georgia
Piedmont Park
Piedmont Park
2,085 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

www.visitdecaturgeorgia.com

Plenty of shops and places to eat

Southern california
Level Contributor
40 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

Thanks for the info! I was not planning on a car but I suppose I could rent one. Is it fairly easy driving around the Atlanta area?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

There is a shuttle from Emory to downtown Decatur. I'm not sure if it runs on weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Decatur
Decatur
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

Will your daughter have a car on campus when she is there? You might get a more realistic view of what life will be like to live in the area if you try to get around town the same way she will do it as a student. Atlanta is not an easy city to navigate without a car, but if you live close to a bus line then you have some options.

From the Emory Conference Center you can walk down to Clifton Rd and catch the #6 MARTA bus to Lindbergh station (appr 15 minutes away). There are many shops and restaurants near the station, or you can catch the subway downtown or up to Lenox Mall or Perimeter Center for more choices.

Emory also offers a number of transportation options on campus and nearby, using their own "Cliff" buses. Besides the on-campus routes, they offer some evening and weekend routes to nearby shopping centers such as Toco Hills and Northlake Mall. The biggest downside to the Cliff buses is that the major transportation hub on campus is a pretty good walk from the Conference Center. They do have a bus that stops at the Conference Center, but it is a commuter route and therefore not that frequent.

You can get more info about the Cliff buses at:

…emory.edu/transportation/cliff/

They also have a real-time map of where the routes go (and where the buses are) at:

http://emory.transloc.com/

If you need to rent a car, there is an Enterprise rental location right at the Conference Center hotel. There are also about a half dozen Zipcar locations scattered around campus.

Personally I would try it without renting a car, just to get a feel for how it will be for your daughter when she is there. If you get by OK, then that's fine, but if not you can always rent a car after you get here.

-JimG

Edited: 4:38 pm, March 06, 2013
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

Id add the history center and mlk center to get a good feel of Atlanta history rather than Atlanta shopping.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

You're right - I skimmed through the question and thought she was asking for shopping recommendations. My other suggestions stand, though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

I agree with JimGinn - try a balance between "real Life" and "tourist".

As well as the no 6 bus there is the 36 that will [eventually] take you to Midtown. The 6 goes past your hotel and moves a bit faster.

Does your daughter have any special hobbies or interests that she would want to pursue if she came to Emory?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Time on Emory visit

See the "things to do tab" to get ideas, it really just depends on what you enjoy, there is lots to see and do.