We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first time in ATL!

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Enumclaw, Washington
5 posts
Save Topic
My first time in ATL!

I will be going to Atlanta to visit a friend who relocated there, and I would like some suggestions as to what to see while I'm there. I will be there for a week and she lives in Duluth. I would really like to make it to see MLKJrs gravesite, the aquarium, and the Atlantic Ocean (this will be my first time on the East Coast) I am a huge history buff, so any historical sight suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,214 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My first time in ATL!

The first thing you need to know is that Duluth is 25 miles north of downtown Atlanta. The second thing you need to think of is what kind of transportation you'll be using. Take a look at the Atlanta FAQ on the upper right of the Atlanta forum page to get started.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My first time in ATL!

The Things to Do tab on the right will give you an idea as to what there is to see. For the history buff, I'd suggest Oakland Cemetery, Kennesaw Mtn, Stone Mtn, Atlanta History Center. If you want to see the Atlantic, combine a trip to Savannah with a visit to Tybee Island.

Enumclaw, Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My first time in ATL!

Thanks! Yes, I know it takes my friends about a half an hour to get to Atlanta proper, and they have a car, so we'll probably just be using that. Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely be checking out the Atlanta FAQ! =)

R2L
Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My first time in ATL!

I don’t know if you are into architecture but if you find it the least bit interesting then after you visit the aquarium take a stroll up to the Hyatt Regency and Marriott Marquis. They were both designed by John Portman Jr. and are really interesting examples of open indoor atriums. The Hyatt was “the” Atlanta landmark for quite a few years. The Westin Peachtree is also a Portman design and has a revolving bar/restaurant on the top that offers some great views of Atlanta.

5. Re: My first time in ATL!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 14, 2014