We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Downtown

Glenview
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant Downtown

I'm looking for suggestions for a restaurant that is within walking distance of Centennial Park and is open on Sunday night. We'd like to avoid chain restaurants like Ted's as they are in our city also. Moderately priced is best but we are willing to pay more for really good food.

Thanks for your help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Downtown

Downtown is pretty lackluster for dining. I usually eat at Alma Cocina when downtown. It's menu is an upscale rendition of Mexican street food, and is always good. BLT Steak is nice as well, but pricey and a chain (though high end) which you might already have.

One great option is actually a place I've never been to, but has great reviews and I've enjoyed the chef's other restaurants: Lunacy Black Market. www.lunacyblackmarket.com I'd skip this is you have kids, and be prepared for some eccentricities.

The Peasant Bistro is another restaurant I've never been to, but is relatively popular: www.peasantatl.com

The Sundial at the Westin has mediocre overpriced food, but a heck of a view.

Edited: 2:30 pm, December 10, 2012
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Downtown

Cafe Intermezzo is another great option. Here is a link to their menu:

www.cafeintermezzo.com/pdf/CarnegieDinner.pdf

ATL
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Downtown

Cafe intermezzo is good but not walking distance from Centennial Park.

We usually go to Mama Ninfa's. I think it's a chain also.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Downtown

The downtown location isn't that far if you don't mind walking.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Downtown

It's a pretty easy walk from Centennial Park to the new Cafe Intermezzo in the bottom of the Carnegie Building/Marriott Courtyard.

Glenview
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Downtown

Thanks for the suggestions and links. What about Pitty Pat's Porch? is that worth the hype and is it within walking distance of the park area.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Downtown

Keep in mind that the MARTA train is very cheap, and will open up your world to many more possibilities.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Downtown

I've never been to Pitty Pat's Porch, but I've definitely never heard and "hype" about it. Its reputation is as a tourist trap that may have been good 30 years ago but has gone downhill. Check the yelp.com reviews for more feedback.

For tyat type of food, look into Mary Mac's or Colonnade (not downtown though).

Edited: 7:52 am, December 12, 2012
Glenview
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Downtown

I looked at the Marta map but have no idea where to start looking. we would probably board at the CNN stop. Any recommendations for restaurants near Marta stations?

I appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Downtown

I HIGHLY recommend the Peasant Bistro.

http://www.peasantatl.com/mobile/bistro.htm

Great location, steps away from the Aquarium and Centennial Park. Beautiful space, great food and attentive wait staff. The owner moved her restaurant - the Pleasant Peasant - from Peachtree St to Centennial Park. The Pleasant was one of my very favorite restaurants in Atlanta for years (as was another former Peasant restaurant, Dailey's, in Downtown. Dailey's was always a wonderful downtown option and it is missed. The Peasant Bistro continues the longtime (even beloved) Peasant tradition. You will not be disappointed. I was there recently with a friend who lives abroad, originally from NOLA and quite a foodie. She said her French Onion Soup was one of the best she's ever had. I smiled, because numerous friends, coworkers, bosses, etc. said the same thing for decades about the FOS at Dailey's.