We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

Hi, Dad & DD21 coming to Atlanta over New Year with car, staying at the Courtyard in Decatur.

I'm thinking of maybe buying the CityPass, but if you do, how do you prebook the CNN tour? I don't think you can?

I'm not sure whether it's actually cost effective buying the Pass for us, we definitely want to do CNN & World of Coke, will most like do the Aquarium, and maybe High Museum of Art, if we have enough time, but I don't think we will.

==================================

Here, my plans at the moment;

Mon 31st Dec: Blue Line to MLK > arrive for opening at 9am. Hopefully get on first Birth Tour at 10am, be finished around 11ish > Maybe go walk around the Oakland Cemetery > Blue line to Dome/Phillips > Stroll around the Olypmic Park > Have Lunch > CNN Tour at 2pm [would prefer to prebook] > World of Coke around 4pm > Back to Decatur > NYE Celebrations in Decatur

I'd like to add the aquarium to this day, but I think it would then be too rushed, and most places close at 5pm or 6pm, the only way would be cutting MLK, but then that isn't open on the 1st Jan.

Same for High Museum, that isn't open on the 1st either.

-------------------

Tues 1st Jan - Flight home at 8:30pm, leave Atlanta and head to airport around 5ish.

Current plans are Aquarium for opening at 10am, Lenox Sq Mall - but I feel this is zigzaging around the city too much?! And should we drive to these places or take the car?

--------------------------

Or vice versa, Drive Lenox Sq mall for opening 10am, shopping alittle, head downtown to Aquarium for 12-1pm, few hour at Aquarium, leave at 5pm for airport.

Now if we only do the main 3 attractions, we aren't making our monies worth from the Pass? Should we bother we it or not, and just buy individually so we can prebook CNN?

=====================================

Or whether to switch the days around totally and do World of Coke, CNN, Olympic Park and Aquarium all the 1st before 5pm? Is that do-able? Everything opens at 10am. Could do Olympic Park at 9am, World of Coke at 10am, [I believe it's timed to get you through in 90mins], lunch at 12pm, CNN at 1pm, 2pm Aquarium til 5pm.

----------------------------

Then on the 31st, we can do MLK first thing, Oakland Cemetery, High Museum, Lenox Sq, and mabye even Swan House...making full use of the citypass. Using either marta and car.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

Actually, I've just noticed the Aquarium is open til 9pm on the 30th,we arrive in from Savannah that day but could probably fit it in.

30th - 9am Leave Savannah, Tybee Island for an hr or so. 4 drive to Atlanta. Arrive around 3pm. Head over to Aquarium. Wanted to see movie at Starlight Drive Inn.

Should we take marta from Decatur to Aquarium, or would you not recommend riding the blue line at 9pm[ish], on way back? -- The only reason, is to avoid paying parking fees, as it would be $10 at the Aquarium, around $10 at High, and another $10 at World of Coke, each day.

Also I pressume, you can leave your car at World of Coke, and then visit CNN etc...??

31st - Car Day: MLK first thing, Oakland Cemetery, High Museum, Lenox Sq, and mabye even Swan House..

1st - Olympic Park, World of Coke, CNN. Leave at 5pm for airport. Again, should we have this as a car day, or take public transport then head back to Decatur and head to airport from there?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

Nothing special about tybee. Spend mire time in Savannah

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

Nothing special about tybee. Spend mire time in Savannah

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,621 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

I would go ahead and leave Savannah at 9 am and stop and get lunch and then be here in Atlanta area by 2-3 pm. Tybee Island is nice in summer for a walk on the beach but think it would be better to head toward Atlanta on Dec. 30.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

Thanks for the info re: Tybee. I know its not the season for it, but regardless we'd like to visit see the lighthouse, as we're in the area.

In re: to our Atlanta itineary what do you think?

30th -Arrive in Decatur around 3pm. Head over to Aquarium, via marta. Wanted to see movie at Starlight Drive Inn.

If we were to try til closing at the Aquarium til 8-9ish, would it be safe to ride the blue line back to Decatur?

31st - Car Day: MLK 9am, Oakland Cemetery, High Museum, Lenox Sq Mall, and mabye even Swan House, time depending

1st - Olympic Park, World of Coke, CNN. Leave at 5pm for airport.

I was thinking of leaving the car at the hotel in Decatur, then take marta downtown, back to Decatur, and drive from Decatur to airport??

Thoughts?

Edited: 2:30 pm, December 02, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

I'd have no worries about taking MARTA back to Decatur after the Aquarium on the 30th. BUT, if you're going to do the drive-in movie that night, why not take your car, park it at the aquarium, and go straight to the movie rather than wasting time riding MARTA back to Decatur? There is plenty of parking at the aquarium.

You say you're taking MARTA to avoid the $10 parking fee, but since MARTA is $2.50 each way per person, and there are two of you, the cost is the same - $10. Save the time and hassle, and just drive.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

ha never thought about the cost of Marta makes senses, though I was thinking of having dinner in Decatur somewhere.

What do you think about the rest of the itinerary? Do-able? Not rushed?

I presume you think the same for the last day at World of Coke etc..., just drive as it will cost us the same amount, the only thing I was thinking was it's was safer to leave the car in Decatur with our luggage than World of Coke parking lot? We could use the hotel luggage service, but I'm never that keen on that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

If you want to have dinner in Decatur, using MARTA is fine, but I don't see how you're going to be at the aquarium until 8-9, then have dinner, then get to the drive-in.

If you're going from WOC to the airport on your last day, it makes no sense to take MARTA all the way back to Decatur to collect your car. The parking lot for WOC/Aquarium/Centennial Park is nice and secure, and much closer to the airport.

If I can offer some unsolicited advice - and feel free to ignore this - it seems to me that you're over-thinking this trip. I know everyone has a different travel style, but you've spent almost 11 months on this forum scripting every minute of this trip. We're happy to offer any advice that we can, but remember to take a breath and have fun - it's a vacation after all!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

don't worry JAtlanta, we'll definitely have fun, you make me sound terrible, planning for 11 months! I've actually only been planning since July, in January I was just beginning to plan for a similiar trip in May this year, which sadly got cancelled and this is the re-do!

I love planning holidays, I'll do a plan vs. reality trip report when we get back as it usually never ends up as you plan. I like to know all my options as on last year's holiday, we were turning up at places that were closed!!!

This will probably but the last you hear from me, we fly out on Saturday!!

Thanks for everybodys' help, much appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you prebook CNN through CityPass? & Itinerary Help...

Have a great trip and feel free to ask any questions you have along the way!