We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

Hertfordshire UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

Can anyone give me pros and cons of these two hotels?

Is one in a better location for shops and restaurants than the other?

Any info would be great.

Thank you

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

They're about equal in most everything, IMO. The Marriott is literally over top of the MARTA rail line if you're going to be using that for anything.

Hertfordshire UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

HI

We probably will not be using the MARTA as with elderly parents. Its more about restaurants, shopping and comfort in the hotel!

I read that the Marriott is connected to the Mall.. what about the Ritz Carlton?

Thank you

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

Marriott is very near 1 mall. RC is across the street from 2 malls.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

I mentioned the JW Marriott on your other thread. It is directly connected to Lenox Square mall - so you would not have to cross any roads unless you wanted to, and you would have the benefit of climate control and an even walking surface.

The Ritz-Carlton would require crossing a 5 or 6 lane road one way (towards Lenox Mall) and something I am too alarmed to count the lanes of the other way (towards Phipps Plaza Mall) and the road is currently being resurfaced or beautified or something. I hope that would be done by January, but they seem to have been at it for ever. Atlanta drivers do not know what pedestrians are.

There's not a lot going on in the exact block where the Ritz Carlton is. I'm sure its a very fine hotel, but since you're only stopping in for a day and have your parents I think it isn't the JW Marriott is the winner on location.

There are restaurants in the hotel, then in the mall you might skip the Food Court and the crowds at California Pizza Kitchen and hike to the other end. Look at Prime, or at the cafe in Neiman Marcus.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

Sorry, seem to have lost some words there - I think it isn't worth while learning to navigate around the Ritz Carlton.

Or you could just get taxis to and from the Ritz Carlton if you decide you really prefer to stay there.

I live in the area and would be happy to make up answers to your shopping questions.

Hertfordshire UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

Thank you... for your detailed answers... One of my thoughts/concerns.. is that both hotels have what they call Club/concierge level floors which if you take a room on these floors it gives you entitlement to use a special Club/concierge lounge...

Because our flight back to the UK is not until the evening, and we will have to check out of our room midday or thereabouts... I wanted somewhere that I could perhaps go off and do some shopping (if I still have the $$ and the energy!!!), but leave my parents in relaxing surroundings in the hotel. Usually the hotels let you stay in the lounges later even if you have checked out...

I am finding it really hard to get any information on either hotels club lounge and which one is better and has nicer facilities...

As that might be a deciding factor...

I might try to call the hotels to ask them the question but not sure how informative they will be.

Thank you for your offer re shopping and info.. once I have fully decided on a hotel can i come back to you on that?

Jessie

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
694 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

Have you also looked into the W or Westin? Both are in the same area and practically in between the Marriott and Ritz. Personally, I'd pick the ritz over the Marriott, and crossing a street to get to either mall is not a big deal. There are crosswalks! The Ritz is an older hotel - lower ceilings, not huge rooms, but with the excellent service to be expected from Ritz Carlton. The Westin is in the former swissotel building, so it has a more modern aesthetic. The W is pretty new. Not huge. I've not seen guest rooms at the W, but have been in the lobby and Whiskey Blue on the roof. Good times.

Hertfordshire UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

Hiya.. thank you.. would prefer to stay in Marriott chain because of points... so trying to choose between ritz and JW Marriott...

Have noticed there is another marriott in Buckhead.. it is the JW that is connected to Lenox Mall and not the Marriott convention centre?

Thanks

9. Re: Ritz Carlton Buckhead vs JW Marriott Buckhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 23, 2013