We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

We visit Altanta several times a year to visit family. In Jan we'd like to extend our stay but drive somewhere else for a couple of days, returning to Atlanta to fly home from. I know Savannah is about 4 hours away, not sure how cold it would be in Jan. Any other place within 4 to 5 hours that we could visit? We like to sightsee, museums, history and eat and drink. Thanks for you help.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
554 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

My vote would be Charleston, SC. It would check all of your boxes and it is a truly lovely city. The winter there is usually quite mild.

Nashville is another possibility. Or maybe somewhere in Fla., such as Amelia Island or Fernandina Beach. But Charleston would be my top pick.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

I second Charleston.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

Nashville could be cold in January. I second the notion of Savannah or Charleston. Both will be relatively quiet and warmer than ATL at that time of year.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

I think Charleston may be a bit of a long drive, but definitely doable, but since it is north of savannah, the weather would be the same or worse. Chattanooga has alot of interesting things and is only 2 hours away. Just depends on the activities you enjoy -- Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge are also in the 4 hour range, but again north of atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

Savannah or Charleston would be my top vote getters. I can't think of anywhere that would be less cold within your range. They're both wonderful cities.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

+1 on Savannah. We stay at planters inn usually get a place in historic district

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

Ashville, NC. 3 hours 45 min. Will be cold but it's a great little city. Some quality hotels downtown, and good eats. Plus if you haven't seen the Biltmore Mansion, that in and of itself is worth the trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,450 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

My suggestions would be Savannah, Charleston, Asheville and Great Smoky Mts. NP in that order.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

Peach gives great route--but if you want warm, youd have to be south of Atl,or closer to coast. Depends on your defintion of warm--if your from Chicago Atl will be much warmer- The closest warm big city would be Tallahasse about 4 1/2 hr drive.If it were me id hdqtr in Savannah , and hit Chrarleston as well. If you want warmer while in Sav, take a day trip to Ameila Island, Fernindina Beach is great.Or you could do Charleston,Sav,Amelia not big towns but pretty interesting Heres temp chart for Savannah weather.com/outlook/…USGA0506

Highs are 60, slightly warmer than Atl--Id thik Crlstn woyuld be just slightly lower and Amelia would be 5-10 degrees warmer

Edited: 4:48 pm, September 29, 2012
Hartford...
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drivable cities from Atlanta to stay for 2 or 3 days

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am very interested in Savannah and we actually have some friends in Charleston so maybe we'll figure out how to combine the two. So much stuff to research, thank you again!