We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

Thanks so much for everyone's help previously concerning history related restaurants! Now I'm trying to decide where to stay for one of the nights and I've found pretty good prices on Expedia for both The Ellis and the Georgian Terrace Hotel. At first I was leaning towards the Georgian Terrace because it is historic but The Ellis has a much higher rating on TripAdvisor.

They're both pretty close to Chicken and Waffles so I think we'll go there for dinner that night but is there anywhere close by for a good breakfast? Thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

The Ellis is probably a nicer hotel, but the location of the Georgian Terrace is better. Will you have a car for breakfast or do you need to go somewhere in walking distance?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

Yes, we will have a car although walking distance would be nice

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

Havent stayed at ellis, the georgian terrace has indoor pool and better location, but shows its age. Just depends on what is most important to you

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

i like the area around Georgian better--more walkable stuff.Intersting old time breakfast at Silver Skillet on 14th--lots of students and profs eat there--its on 14th st

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

If you have a car, I love the breakfast at J Christopher's, which is down the road (E Ponce de Leon) from the Georgia Terrace. If you are looking for a lunch place, try Mary Mac's which is 2 blocks from the Georgian Terrace.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

I've stayed at The Ellis twice and will definitely return again. As the other posters have noted, the area around The Georgian Terrace probably offers a better restaurant selection. The hotel itself if quite aged, though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

There's a cute coffee shop in the Georgian Terrace. If you have a car, West Egg is by far my favorite. Empire State South also does a great breakfast. Thumbs Up is excellent. For something fast, you can't beat the donuts at Sublime. I hear Babs does a great breakfast, but haven't been.

You may see recs online for Flying Biscuit, but that wouldn't be my first choice. It's gone downhill since it went franchise and while once an Atlanta institution it is nowhere near West Egg/Thumbs Up/ESS quality.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

The Broadway Diner is a block from the Georgian Terrace.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

Is this a weekend? If so, then the best brunch in the area is Einsteins - http://www.metrocafes.com/einsteins/home.aspx It's definitely a "scene" kind of place and a few blocks from the Georgian Terrace. It's one of the best outside dining places in Atlanta and you could go for a walk in Piedmont Park afterwards. I agree with the previous posters that the newer Flying Biscuits are not as good as the original one (which I still love). There's one in Midtown and it's okay, not great. Babs must have gone down too because its was mostly meh the last time I ate there. If you are looking for a place for appetizers and a drink in the evening I love the Fifth Ivory, especially if there's a piano player on the grand piano. I really like that place. I especially like their twist on Southern pimento cheese in new dishes - deviled eggs and pimento cheese fritters. They had a fabulous $20 lobster tail Tuesday special and the sides were as good as the lobster. I've also discovered the "Godmother" drink there (where has it been all of my life!). Avra, the Greek restaurant used to be in that space and it was my go-to place before an event at the Fox theatre (across the street from the Georgian Terrace). I'm so happy the Fifth Ivory has made a new home there.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Ellis or the Georgia Terrace? Breakfast close-by?

But if you stay at the Ellis (which I do like) definitely go to brunch at the Ritz. Pricey, but FABULOUS!