We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

hi,

We will be driving from Savannah to the Mariott Marquis downtown in Atlanta. We will be leaving Savannah approx midday on Wednesday 17th October. Can anyone give me a "fools guide" on what to expect traffic wise & in rush hour traffic when we get near to Atlanta & travelling Dowtown

thanks v much

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,097 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

If you leave Savannah at noon, you'd be getting in to Atlanta around 4:30 or so. Most take the I-16 to I-75 route. Heading IN to Atlanta means you'll be going in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic flow. I'm not sure what "midday" means. If you leave Savannah at 2, you'll get in to Atlanta closer to 7 and most of the traffic will have cleared. In any case, you'll hit traffic within a few miles of downtown and the rest of the route won't be a problem at all.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

As onemore said, you'll be "reverse commuting" coming into Atlanta in the afternoon.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

thanks for that info.

onemoreroad , I should have said noon not midday.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

As mentioned, there is rarely a traffic back-up until you get north of Ptree/ W. Ptree exits heading towards the 75/85 split, but if there is a jam south of there, remember three things:

1. You mentioned "we", which means you can ride in the HOV lane which is always empty.

2. There are multiple side streets/roads that parallel the interstate, just take a look at a map of Atlanta before you leave, and familiarize yourself with some of your alternatives. At worst, you can always take I-675, to I-285, to I-20 west to downtown if you know 75 is shut-down.

3. Listen to 750am as you approach atlanta, they give traffic updates frequently, or use ga navigator on your smartphone, where you can get real-time traffic maps showing what areas you should avoid.

You never know when a rain storm or accident will shut down an interstate in atlanta.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

106.7 FM has more frequent and, in IMO better, traffic updates.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,097 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

You'll be fine as far as traffic goes. Just take 75N, take the International exit and then a right on Peachtree Center Ave. You may sit in a back-up for a little while, but not long at all. If you leave at 11 instead of noon, you may not experience any traffic at all.

7. Re: driving into downtown Atlanta on a Wednesday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 08, 2013