We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Term Marta Parking

R2L
Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Long Term Marta Parking

I'll be in Atlanta over the Labor Day weekend and want to avoid the $32.00 a night hotel parking fee. Is there a "safest" L.T.P area on the Marta line. I was looking at the map and thinking the Dunwoody lot since I know that alot of the "Gold Line" north of Atlanta is a little sketchy.

Any locals have some input??

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

That's I think Dunwoody or Sandy Springs would be safest. Lindbergh would also be fairly safe and is a lot closer if you need access to your car. It does not involve a train change. My office is between Dunwoody and Sandy Springs, and when I use MARTA I park at Dunwoody because it's one less train stop.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

"a lot of the "Gold Line" north of Atlanta is a little sketchy"

I'm trying to figure out where you got this notion. I live up that way and don't feel like it's particularly "sketchy" at all - certainly no worse than any other area of town, and much better than many. In fact I frequently park my car in the long-term lot at the Brookhaven station when I travel, and have never once worried about it.

Maybe you are thinking of the "Gold Line" in some other city?

-JimG

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

I park in the Lindbergh long term lot if I need to, the place is always bustling and it's more convenient for me than stops north of the line split.

Where will you be going in ATL during your weekend?

Mentioned in this post
R2L
Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

First: I apologize JimG if I offended you, my only real experience with North Atlanta is what is right off of I-85 at the Jimmy Carter Exit and the area around the big International Market off of Buford Highway. That exit and the few around it that I take from time to time to get over to the IM led me to make that assumption. I know when I assume I make an yada yada yada..so sorry.

Second: I apologize for not responding to this thread. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me some advice, things have been crazy at work and I honestly just forgot that I posted this question.

I will be staying at the Marriott Marquis so really anything off of I-85 would be best but I drive one of the most stolen cars in America (Honda Accord) and would prefer to park it somewhere that is secure, well lit, and busy.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Buford
Buford
Georgia
Atlanta Marriott Marquis
Atlanta Marriott Marquis
1,350 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

Thanks for following up. I would still go with Sandy Springs or Dunwoody, and park somewhere visible.

Mentioned in this post
R2L
Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

Thanks - I printed off directions to Dunwoody so that's where we'll be going.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

I'm not offended R2L - I just find it interesting when people describe an area as "sketchy" when it probably does not look substantially different from other areas that they routinely drive through in their own home towns. It's just human nature I guess - I often feel the same way about unfamiliar places that I travel to as well.

I always try to remember that to someone else, that area is home, and to them it probably does not seem "sketchy" at all.

-JimG

R2L
Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

Thanks JimG...don't want to bother the locals when I know I'll proably be back in here begging for advice or directions again!

9. Re: Long Term Marta Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 21, 2013