We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

Oakland, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

I am visiting Atlanta primarily to see a show at the Variety Playhouse in L5P. Please recommend a safe, clean place to stay nearby for my girlfriends and I. I wasn't planning on renting a car so I'd like it to be fairly close so my cab fares will not be too high. Promimity to a MARTA station is also good. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

I don't have great news for you. There is not really a MARTA station close to Little Five Points, so to get there you'd have to take a train and then a bus, or walk a good way through a sketchy neighborhood. The best way to get to L5P if you don't have a car would be taking a cab.

There aren't really many hotels in that area, and I wouldn't recommend staying in any hotels on Moreland Ave. While L5P itself is safe and a great neighborhood, to the south on Moreland Ave are some very rough areas. There may be hotels there because it's near the interstate, but this is a neighborhood in which I would not even stop for gas. I hang out pretty regularly in L5P and am not very risk-adverse when it comes to transitional neighborhoods, but I definitely wouldn't stay south of L5P. The exception is that East Atlanta is a very hip place for bars, restaurants, and music, but I dont' think there are any hotels there.

The Highland Inn, however, is a little north of L5P (not close enough to walk but within a mile or two) and seems to get decent reviews as a functional if not swanky small, independent hotel. That might be your best bet.

Otherwise, I think your best option is to stay in midtown or downtown and take a taxi to L5P. Buth areas have several MARTA stations, so you could use MARTA to get to most other locations in the city.

Oakland, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

Thanks so much for the advice about the surrounding area of L5P. I was planning on staying as close as possible and walking. Now with this bit of info, I know that's not the thing to do. Are there any parts of Midtown/Downtown that I should avoid?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

Here is a past topic about safety near Underground in the downtown area.

http://tinyurl.com/zv7uz

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

I think that if you use something like Hotels.com or Travelocity, you will get decent hotels in midtown, which is really a more happening area than downtown, which is pretty dead at night and focuses on such atrocities as Hooters and Hard Rock Cafe. I can't think of any neighborhoods there to avoid, other than to suggest that if there are hotels on Ponce de Leon or North Avenues, you make sure that they are within a block or two of Peachtree, as those streets go from nice to scary and run through a huge housing project. I would not have any safety concerns in Midtown in any hotel that is within a few blocks of Peachtree. Most hotels seem to be concentrated at 10th and 14th Streets. I would recommend bidding on a 4 star hotel on Priceline, which generally places people in the Sheraton on 14th St or the Wyndham on 10th St for under $90 a night.

I hope yo ulike Variety Playhouse. I've seen several shows there and I think it's a good small venue.

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

BA GAL.

I read the other posts regarding staying the Little 5 Points area and while it is true that you will not find tradional hotels close by. There are several B&B's nearby that are very nice. This area is very eclectic and as any big city you should be aware of your personal safety, but this area is pretty safe. I live near here in one of the better historic intown neighborhoods and walk my dog through this area on a regular basis.

As for places to stay, check out LaurelHillBandB. It very contemporary, clean and safe. You can't find a better host than Dave the innkeeper. www.laurelhillbandb.com

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

Oh! Also the East-West Marta line runs just to the south of this area, it is not much of a walk from the Inman Park Marta Station (probably 1/2 mile through a historic neighborhood).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

I think Google Earth is an excellent resource to get an idea as to the proximity of areas in Atlanta and the walking distance between certain points.

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
464 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay near Little 5 Points?

Two B & B's in Inman Park within a VERY short walk (within 3 or 4 blocks) to the Marta station are:

The Magnolia House

The King Keith B & B

It is a short walk from the marta station to L5P and I have walked it alone at night without fear (female, late 30s.)

It's been a while since I've lived down there, moved away in 2000 - but I would recommend that your girlfriend leave her high heels at home - the sidewalks are old and bumpy.