We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marietta
2 posts
Save Topic
New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

Greetings all,

Recently moved from New York City with two boys. One is 14 the other 9. I just don't know where to go. In NY it's so easy it almost seems like everything is laid out for you but here... well you have to dig!!!

Any ideas? I'd like to spend time with my boys but we're working on a tight budget. We're a humble 3 just looking for advice. Even if it cost we can save we just need some ideas.

Thanks a million. Have a blessed year.

Jessica

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

roswellmom, we were also hit by the tornado that destroyed your home. I remember it being right at midnight. We almost lost our terrier, Ollie because he went airborne, but I was able to snag him because we'd put his harness and leash on. We lost half our roof at our home in Norcross and several huge pine trees which fortunately fell away from the house and the only damage they did was to our backyard fence. After our home was repaired, we put it on the market and built a home out in the country about 60 miles north of downtown in Jackson county. I still commute to Atlanta to work, but I love being out in the country where all I here at night are frogs, crickets, and cows. (and the occasional coyote) But I still spend a lot of time in the city. I've got the best of both worlds.

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
385 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

Hey Nuke - I grew up in Buckhead and moved to Dunwoody when I got married. Stayed there till the storm. We chose to move back inside the perimeter for 2 years till my husband sold his business and retired. We moved up to Crabapple where our real estate dollars went much farther. We got a larger house and banked $50,000. from the house we sold inside the perimeter. This are was all horse farms back in the 60s and 70s when I grew up. It's truly heaven up here in Roswell. When the kids are grown and move out, we'll settle in the N. Ga. Mountains too. Enjoy the crickets up there.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

roswellmom, I grew up in Buckhead too, until I was 8 and my folks moved about 5 miles away to Brookhaven, where I lived until I was 18. I don't want to date myself, but when we lived in Buckhead on Cain's Hill Place, about a half block from the little park at the intersection of Peachtree Rd. and Roswell Rd. we were totally surrounded by woods. Our closest neighbor on Roswell Rd. was a pig farm, about a mile further up Roswell Rd. One thing I remember was Halloween as a kid and doing our trick or treating at the mansions on West Pace's Ferry. Talk about making out like bandits. Some places would invite us in for ice cream floats, caramel apples, and they gave us imported chocolate. My brothers and I called it "mining for gold". The house where I lived in Buckhead is still there. It is some kind of French boutique and antiques shop. It has a historical marker plaque next to the front door naming it as the oldest standing house in Buckhead.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

P.S. About 30 years ago, one of my good friends lived in a farmhouse in Crabapple. I remember going to a party there one weekend and actually indulging in the redneck sport of "cow tipping" under the full moon.

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
385 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

Hey Nuke - My mom still has the house across from Chastain Park off Lake Forrest, where I grew up. Husband grew up across from Bobby Jones Golf Course then to Riverview Road in Sandy Springs. His dad was one of the cofounders of Pace Academy. Hubby remembers when Pace Academy moved into thier castle on West Paces Ferry Road about 45 years ago. Talk about getting older. I remember going to my friend's family horse farm in Crabapple back in the late 60s before Ga. 400. It took about 90 minutes in each direction to go from Chastain Park to Crabapple back then. Now it takes that long on Ga. 400 with 4 lanes in each direction. Boy how times have changed.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: New to Atlanta/Marietta and clueless

roswellmom, I dated a girl that lived on Lake Forrest back around 1970. I met her through other friends who went to school with her at St. Pius.