We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

Has anyone any experience of using Hotwire ?

Thinking of trying it out, but have never tried this way of booking a hotel. Will choose the 4 star hotel in Downtown area of Atlanta, and I understand once we have completed booking the hotel name will be revealed, but would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

I use it all the time and have stayed at great hotels. My husband recently had the only one he didn't feel deserved the rating hotwire gave it so he filled out their online survey to explain the situation. He stayed at a two star on business. This was the first time he has ever filled out the survey.

I assure you the hotel will be worth much more that the rate you pay through hotwire. We have been using hotwire for about five years, several times a year.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

Tomkins, you may want to check out www.bidontravel.com or a similar site. I think they give tips on how to bid better on sites like Priceline, etc.

I've never done it myself, so best of luck to you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

I've used Hotwire twice with great results. Once, however, because of the descriptions of the hotel's amenities (this one had something unique) I was able to ascertain the identity of the hotel before purchasing. I think Priceline uses the same pool of hotels and the same rating system, so I prefer to use Priceline and get an even cheaper price. A local consumer advisor recommends knocking 20% off the Hotwire price for a Priceline bid. I've used Priceline several times and think it's great.

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

Thanks everyone I will check out the other sites you have mentioned as well, and then give it a go

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

JAtlanta

Good tips. I was listening yesterday to Clark Howard yesterday on his radio show when he gave that advice. He suggested using hotwire to determine the lowest price plane ticket. Then once you find out how much the ticket would be, go to Priceline and bid lower, as you say.

We used hotwire for our tickets to Argentina in November. It required several layovers but was worth the difference in price.

I haven't tried priceline yet. How long does it take to find out if your bid is accepted?

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

Thanks JAtlanta - I have booked in at the Omni Hotel CNN Center for $78 per night via Priceline. Completed application regarding area requested and bid price etc and was told straight away which hotel and confirmation. Would deffinately use Priceline again. Hotel and reviews look good. Thanks again

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotwire Hotels - Lucky Dip !!!

Wow! I looks like you saved at least $100! I'm such a fan of Priceline for hotels. I got burned once on airfare when I got stuck on a redeye back from Vegas with a connection in St. Louis, but for hotels it's a great tool.