We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A wonderful place to live.....???

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
corpus christi, tx
13 posts
Save Topic
A wonderful place to live.....???

I know you have been over this before, but I'd appreciate some advice. I will be working in the Marietta area shortly and am looking for a place to live.

This is what I'm looking for...

1. a small/medium sized house with a yard.

2. a quiet neighborhood

3. within walking distance of various stores.

4. somewhat scenic and outdoorsy (does that make sense).

How expensive is real estate in the northern suburbs, and how long would it take you to drive downtown, with and without traffic???

Thanks for any and all advice. It will help me get started on looking for a new home.

corpus christi, tx
13 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: A wonderful place to live.....???

Thanks for the number and the advice to rent first. I plan to rent for 6mos and take all the various routes to see just how bad traffic will be in around Marietta, Smyrna, Vinings etc.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A wonderful place to live.....???

That's a good idea to rent first. There are a lot of townhomes in the area and some are new that would fit your description. You could probably get a 2bed/2bath townhome that is new for your price range or maybe lower if you looked hard! Also, there's no reason to get on the the interstate to go to downtown Marietta. There are plenty of backroads that will get you there pretty quickly (ie, from Kennesaw) I think you will like Atlanta, finding a house just depends on what your priorities are. You can either have less traffic and a little further out of the way or not as nice, or a growing booming area w/ tons of new things but a little more expensive and more traffic. I would stay out of Vinings as the prices have gotten insane (except renting). Smyrna is OK but some of it isn't very nice althought they are revamping a lot of that area. Marietta proper may be a good place to look, as you don't have kids you wouldn't have to worry about the downtown marietta school district so you could probably find something cool closer to the downtown area (The Square). Although, it has a lot of government offices and quaint shopping so traffic can clog there, too, although it would meet your requirement of walking to stores, because it's a walkable part of town.

Anyway, good luck with your move, I'm sure you'll learn to love Atlanta :)