We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Atlanta to...?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Atlanta to...?

We will be taking a trip to Atlanta in late Feb/early March. After spending 6 nights in Atlanta, we will have 3 nights to take a side trip and go see somewhere else.

We are thinking of renting a car. We are up for anything within an 8 hour range. Our ideas are Savannah, New Orleans, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina...

Do you have any recommendations? Or, any suggestions that we have not thought of? This would be our first time to any of these areas.

We are Canadians in our late 20s who are really up for anything- just looking for somewhere new to explore and walk around and get a feel for- try the foods, see the attractions. What would you suggest? I'm liking Savannah because it's only a 4 1/2 hour drive from Atlanta and sounds really pretty and interesting.

This is a great problem to have. My boyfriend said "3 nights, anywhere you want." So I need your help! We are also even considering getting a flight to somewhere if it was inexpensive to get there from Atlanta.

Thanks so much for any advice in advance!!!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

Savannah, GA would be my choice. It's a beautiful historic city that's very friendly. There are great restaurants and fun places to shop. Go to Savannah City Market and visit the fine shops and restaurants there. It's a 4 square block shopping center near Bay Street. Go to Noble Fare or Local 11 Ten for fine dining and Crystal Beer Parlor for fun casual dining. Stay at Mansion on Forsyth Park or Planters Inn. The Mansion has a nice spa as well as a good restaurant. Good luck.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,066 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

I vote for Savannah and then if you could squeeze in another day or so I would head a little further south to just across the Florida border to Amelia Island. Both of these places are some of my favorites along the coast. Lots to see in Savannah with riverfront, historic district, squares, food, etc. In Amelia Island you have Fort Clinch SP, historic district ,seafood and a nice beach.

I love Atlanta but unless you are here for a conference then 4-5 days is plenty of time to see the sites in the city.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

I would vote Savannah and Charleston. They're close to each other, and are the prettiest cities in the south. Plus, that will let you check another state (South Carolina) off your list.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

I would do 4 days in Atlanta as was posted above. Then I would split the rest of your vacation between Savannah and Charleston SC. They are a short drive from each other. Both have charm and history.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

Good advice in Savannah and Charleston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

Unless you're in Atlanta for business or family I'd break that bit down to three days max. If you don't count Texas, Atlanta is the largest Southern city. Accordingly there's plenty to do and see there especially when it comes to urban amenities like restaurants, shopping, concerts and hotels. But I'm tempted to not call it the largest Southern city because it's not Southern. It seems odd to take a trip to the South and spent most of your time in a place with no ties to anywhere. Not to mention that its idiotic urban planning makes the driving (the only real way of getting around) no fun, and I find nothing particularly scenic or beautiful about the city itself. So yeah, enjoy the parts of Atlanta that you can enjoy in any big city, and enjoy the few good attractions there. But it's my opinion that doesn't take six days. If it did, I'd probably cut my visit short anyway because there's only so long you can spend as a tourist in a city like that.

So you have Charleston and Savannah down there, which are good bets for climate and culture. New option: a loop through Chattanooga and the Southern Appalachians. Overnight in Chattanooga and see if you can sample the historic and nature parks as well as the beauty of the gorgeous urban riverfront. Then dive into the mountains via the Ocoee (great river rafting) or the Cherohala Skyway and explore for a couple days. Moving on through you could spend sometime in Asheville, and perhaps loop down to Savannah depending on what you've done for your time in Atlanta. The mountains are silent and gorgeous in wintertime.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

Consider Greenville, SC. Very similar to what is described above for Chattanooga and it's closer to Asheville if you want to throw that in.

8. Re: Road trip from Atlanta to...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, October 17, 2012