We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic getaway in georgia

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
romantic getaway in georgia

Hi everyone!

I need suggestions to plan a short trip for a day or two for me and my hubby in January end. We have already explored helen and Dahlonega. Please suggest something considering that the travelling time is less than 4 hours and the winter weather.

looking forward to your replies.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

Savannah would be my top pick. Other ideas: Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee, Chateau Elan, Callaway Gardens (I'll confess I'm not a fan of CG but others like it)

Edited: 5:54 pm, January 19, 2011
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

Would you consider Chattanooga? It is two hours and we have much to offer. I would suggest you look into The Bluff View area, above the Tennessee River. Charming accommodations of your choice. You can walk into downtown or stay there and dine. Has it all!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

Savannah has been on our list for long. Was just wondering whether it would be a good idea to go there in the winters. We are planning to go there in the spring. Any suggestions there?

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

How about Asheville NC. It is about 4 hours from Atlanta. I was there last weekend. The downtown is amazing. You can walk everywhere. Great places to eat and good nightlife. We stayed at the Hotel Indigo. It is brand new and right downtown.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

Is it very cold in Asheville? Could you please mention the places that you visited there?

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

It may be 10 degrees colder on an average than Atlanta. It was 45 and sunny when we were there. Just bundle up a bit.

We went to the Thomas Wolfe house for a neat tour. He was a famous auther from Asheville. He wrote Look Homeward Angel.

We ate at Early Girl Eatery for lunch was very good. We ate dinner at Tupelo Honey Cafe. It was very good. We also ate at 12 Bones BBQ for lunch. President Obama ate here in April on vacation.

We went to several of the Brew Pubs downtown. Great entertainment and good beer.

Great shopping downtown too.

Here is a good website to plan a trip.

http://www.romanticasheville.com/downtown.htm

Edited: 8:45 pm, January 19, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

We've had a wonderful romantic getaway to Glen Ella Springs Inn near Lake Rabun. Wonderful restaurant in the inn. Great hiking in the area. Lake Rabun is beautiful. You can visit Tallulah Gorge State Park which was a big surprise that we have something like that in Georgia.

http://www.glenella.com/

I can also recommend my hometown of Greenville, SC. It would be around 2 hours depending where you live in Atlanta. The downtown area has been revitalized with thriving shops, restaurants (Tyler Florence is from Greenville), arts scene, and a beautiful green area. We used to go downtown to Asheville to get the vibe that you can now get in downtown Greenville. The Greenville Museum has a fairly large collection of Andrew Wyeth. Bob Jones University (about 10 minutes from downtown) has an amazing collection of old masters.

greenvillesc.gov/EconDev/…default.aspx

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

My choice would be Savannah but I would wait and go when you have at least 3/4 days to visit Savannah and Beaufort, SC which is a fun town to visit for the day. There's plenty to do in Savannah and it's a beautiful city with great dining but go in the spring when you have more time.

For a day or two I would go to The Ritz Carlton at Reynold's Plantation which is only an hour or so from Atlanta. Another nice GA town to visit is Athens. There's a new hotel there that's nice too but I can't remember the name. Good luck.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

if you go to Ahesville, for a total romantic experince stay at the Grove Park Inn,in the old part of the hotel.Go ot the incredible spa they have there.eating dinner on the patio looking out as the sun sets is beautiful--if you want warmer,we've stayed at Susina plantaion just south of Thomasville---it a really nice B&B on an old quail hunting plantation--very nice walking trails,about 3,000 acres

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: romantic getaway in georgia

Thank you all for your replies and suggetions! u rock!