We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick visit to Emory....help!

dallas
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
quick visit to Emory....help!

Hi!

I'm bringing my daughter to look at Emory in March: coming in Sunday afternoon, leaving Monday evening..... We've never been to Georgia. Where would you suggest we stay (as close to the campus and inexpensive as possible)? Is there a shop/restaurant area near campus that will give my daughter a feeling for the area? Any restaurants in particular you'd recommend? I'd really like her to have a good experience there.....

Thanks!

Jenmol

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

Decatur is a good neighborhood to visit. I'm going on old recs of restaurants, but Wahoo Grill and Watershed would be good. It has a vibrant restaurant scene.

As far as hotels go, find the location where you'll be spending most of your time and then enter "hotels near [that address]" in Google Maps. Tripadvisor ratings are the majority of what you see in the star ratings on Google Maps. You can drill into those or just come back to this site to read them. You might also try searching on hotels with the name "Emory" in them on this site.

Mentioned in this post
Decatur
Decatur
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

Look into the Emory Conference Center Hotel or University Inn at Emory. Also, in downtown Decatur, the Holiday Inn is a good location and ought to be pretty cheap. You might contact the admissions office to find out whether they have discounts with any of the area hotels.

For neighborhoods, I agree with the Decatur recommendation, and Catherp's listed some of the best restaurants. You might also investigate Cakes & Ale and Iberian Pig. Another idea that will have more young people is the Virginia Highland area, a favorite among younger professionals. It has a number of restaurants and shops, and is really lively. The restaurants aren't as high end as those in Decatur for the most part, but I like La Tavola for something nicer and Original El Taco, Yeah! Burger, and Atkins Park for more casual dining. If you just walk up and down Highland, you'll see may options.

Mentioned in this post
Decatur
Decatur
Georgia
La Tavola
La Tavola
312 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
The Original El Taco
The Original El Taco
120 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

Emory is an excellent school--if shes interested in medical field, CDC is real close by,she might like a tour there while shes here

dallas
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

She's kinda a split personality between neuroscience/biology & theater/playwriting.....the CDC outing sounds interesting (if we can get any sightseeing in). Would a tour be through the Global Health Odyssey Museum, or were you thinking of something else?

Thanks to all for the tips!!!!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

i was thinking the Odyssey tour

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
147 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

I concur with all the suggestions here. As an Emory alum, don't miss the "being renovated" Emory Village, which is just adjacent to the University. It's a popular place for students to hang out, one they can walk to and back pretty safely.

Keep in mind, using MARTA, a student can access just about any place in Atlanta rather readily.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

Emory Village features an outstanding pizza place called "Everybody's." It's been a campus hang-out since the 70s. I graduated from Emory in 1973 and just last year took my family back to see the school. We had lunch at Everybody's and it's still good.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

Ha, my friend just got his acceptance letter to Emory. He's pretty excited.

Usually when I'm in Atlanta I'm at Emory... Here's a second recommend for Everybody's in Emory Village. Octane is a fun locally owned coffeeshop adjacent, though the Starbucks in the new Barnes and Noble on campus is the best one I've ever been too (unbelievably friendly staff). There's also a newish Mediterranean place on the east side of campus near the train tracks. I has some pretty good lentil soup there.

I also recommend visiting Lulwater Park while you're at Emory. Druid Hills is a lovely, wooded suburb of the city, but Emory is still an urban campus and having that bit of nature there can be a real soul-energizer after a while. Once you're in there it's hard to believe you're in the city anymore.

There's a very neat museum of archaeology at the Quadrangle, the Carlos. I've been there several times. Worth a visit if you have any interest in that.

Last time I was at Emory I stayed in the Super 8 motel in Decatur and was very happy there. Pretty inexpensive and a super clean room with a comfy bed. Five minutes from the university.

Edited: 3:16 pm, January 23, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Decatur
Decatur
Georgia
Southeast US
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

Downtown Decatur, which is close to Emory, has a couple of B&Bs that are within walking distance of restaurants and shops. Here's a link to Decatur:

www.decaturga.com

Mentioned in this post
Decatur
Decatur
Georgia
dallas
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quick visit to Emory....help!

Thanks for all the help!!!! What do you think on these restaurants: I'm leaning toward Iberian Pig or Brick Store Pub for dinner the night we arrive, and either Everybody's (but we're having pizza in Chicago the next night) or one of the Burger places (probably Vortex or Farm Burger) for lunch. Flip & Yeah! don't seem to be located very close to campus, & I'll try Holeman & Finch only if we arrive before brunch ends.

Congrats to your friend, Bluecuzco....does the early admit mean they got Emory Scholar?

Thanks again!

Jenmol