We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta - Ok to book?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Delta - Ok to book?

Sorry to bother you guys and apologies if this has already been asked.

Delta are in Chapter 11, is it still ok to book flights with them, we are flying to Charleston SC in July and if we fly Delta we will be changing at ATL.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

Here is where you can read what Clark Howard's advice is concerning this. Clark is a financial advisor who also was a travel agent in the past. He has a radio talk show out of Atlanta every weekday afternoon.

clarkhoward.com/library/…airlines

London
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

Thanks reinarubia - His advise was back in 2004 and Delta still seem to be operating and I think he was hinting they may well collapse and get a refund but not a flight - not much good for us. Thanks again for the info.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

Actually, Delta has been operating that way for a long time. I think the advice is still current. I just don't want to tell you everything will be fine. My husband and I have enough frequent flyers' miles with Delta to take an international flight. We feel like we should go ahead and use them since they may go bust or they may restructure and not honor those miles. Delta has a lot of employees and is based in Atlanta. If they went out of business it would be a major blow to the economy.

One option you may consider is driving to Charleston. It is a fairly straight drive.

I'm sure others will post their thoughts too.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

I wouldn't worry about booking on Delta.

Legacy carriers can stay in bankruptcy for years. They are just restructuring their debt and renegotiating contracts. Most inductry analysts expect to emerge from bankruptcy in a couple of years.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

I personally think you'd be okay booking with Delta in July. I'm pretty sure that they're still going to be working out their issues at that time and still flying. Their pilots' union just agreed to a salary cut, which should help matters some.

London
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

Thanks for the info - more to mull over, it's a shame, as Delta are a fair bit cheaper than other carriers flying out of London Gatwick, our prefered choice of departure, Continental and A A are about 400 GBP in total more expensive for the 3 of us.

Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

Delta is under chapter 11 for years already.

I dont think they will ever stop flying.

That would be a great disaster for Atlanta.

The point is....as long people book with Delta,there is no problem.

When people stop booking because of chapter 11 then the real problem will put them in the grave.

Wishing everyone a great 2006.

The touristsupport.be team from Belgium.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

maverick, Delta just entered chapter 11 a couple of months ago.

Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

Well....i remember chapter 11 already back in 2002.

It was on the news and since i'm a frequent flyer and have some business in the States that news catched my eye.

And i remember things were real bad after september 11 and my good friend lost his job,so did many others.

Delta is doing a great job,they should just kick out some rude INS officers (wish they could)who can really ruin your staying.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta - Ok to book?

Chapter 11 for Delta just happened in Nov, as far as I have ever known ... and I am also a frequent flier -- too frequent, unfortunately. In any case, I don't think Delta is going anywhere anytime soon. I wouldn't rule out a collapse -- look at Eastern -- but I think you'll be safe between now and the summer. I am booking already ... and it'll probably be on Delta.

BA often runs pretty good sales here in the states -- not sure if they have them coming the opposite way.

Continental, in my opinion, is a much nicer airline than Delta, although my current location pretty much restricts me to Delta unless I'm flying West. I would avoid Northwest. It does fly into Heathrow, but their planes are old, old ... I flew to London last year on a DC10 or something of the sort and it gave me the creeps!

US Airways is probably another option for Charleston if you can match the price.

The best thing about flying Delta into Charleston is that they probably have the most flights in and out of that city, and also a number of flights between atl and lgw, so if anything happens with your schedule, you're pretty sure to get booked on another flight in short order. Have a good time -- Charleston is great!