We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more info requested

Springfield...
Level Contributor
81 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
more info requested

we are going to Smyrna in March and are looking at the Residence Inn by Marriott Atlanta Cumberland. Any comments about the place and location? My nephew lives in Smyrna so we are stay1ng close by to him. How far to the new Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN and Stone Mountain? Should we drive into the city or is there a public transport near by to use. any info would be helpful. (it's our first time to your area of the country)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: more info requested

As you will be right off of I-285, it would be easy (depending on traffic) to just take 285 east to the Buford Hwy exit and go south on Buford Hwy. Take one of the first two road on your right and turn left on Old Peachtree. The Doraville MARTA station will be less than a half mile on your right and has plenty (PLENTY) of free parking. (big parking deck with surrounding lots. Take MARTA south to Five Points Station, go up one level and take the west line to the next stop and get off at Phillips Arena/CCN Center station. This is where you will find CCN and the Aquarium. If you want to go to World of Coke, just get off at Five Points, walk through Underground Atlata (It's attached to Five Points Station), exit out the other end and World of Coke is across the plaza.

For Stone Mountain, you will need to drive. (heartedly recommended, you've never seem a rock like that in your life unless you've been to Ayer's Rock in Australia) Take I-285 east to the east side of Atlanta and get off at Hwy. 78 (Stone Mountain Freeway) and head east to Stone Mountain Park. It is plainly marked and kinda hard to miss. Check http://www.stonemountainpark.com/

Enjoy. Welcome.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: more info requested

I think I was unclear. After you get off 285 at Buford Hwy. and head south, go right on one of the first two roads you come to (Either will do. I think one is Central Ave.), go up to Old Peachtree Rd. and then turn left and look for the MARTA station on the right. . I believe on of the two roads is Central Ave. You'll see a 6 level parking deck.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
81 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: more info requested

I would like to thank everyone for their great replies. We can't wait to visit your lovely city. Happy New Year to ALL..:)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: more info requested

I know that there is a parking lot across the street from the North Ave. Station, but they charge upwards of $20 to park, particularly if you are unlucky enough to park there during an event. There is not specific MARTA parking at North Ave., however. I agree that parking at Lindbergh is the best idea if you're going to use public transport. They have specific MARTA parking and it's relatively easy to find.

Driving downtown isn't a bad idea either. It's basically a straight shot on I-75S to downtown. Getting to the Aquarium, CNN, Centennial Olympic Park, etc. from the Williams Street exit is very easy (take your first right off the exit and the Aquarium is in front of you) and there are plenty of parking options and most are reasonable (no more than about $10).

I like the Smyrna area and there's plenty to do. You're not far from the Big Chicken a ways up Cobb Parkway! You might try it for a fun local landmark excursion.

Another idea is the CCT system. It has its own routes though and I can't say I've ever used the system so I don't know how reliable or easy to use it might be. Maybe someone else knows?

Buy your tickets in advance for the Aquarium! You can do everything online. It was mobbed last week (though the crowds should die down by March) and I spent 2 hours in line (yuck!). It is pretty nifty though, I have to say.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: more info requested

I still think that the Doraville station is easier to drive to for someone from out of town, especially someone staying on the north side. No Peachtree/Buckhead traffic to contend with. The directions are easier and they will only have to make one right If nothing else, you're guaranteed a seat because it's the first station on the north line.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: more info requested

Well, my husband decided to get a room in McDonough because he had business to conduct down that way the next day (today) after the game. He drove to the Dome and paid $30 to park within a couple of blocks. I would never have agreed to pay that much, but it was a special occasion and I was not there to nag him. He left just before Georgia scored their fourth touchdown. What an exciting game, even though they lost!

LinL531

Whenever we do go to the Aquarium, I'll come back to this thread and add any tips I may have especially about the parking situation and public transportation. I'm sure that I'll be going before your March trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: more info requested

Thanks for reporting in, Rein. My heart was breaking last night for my beloved Dawgs. At least they came back and fought. Too bad about the fumbles. Maybe we'll see sugar falling from the sky next year, eh?

Lindsay Scott! Lindsay Scott! ;-)