We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Thai?

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Best Thai?

Hi,

I will going to the 14th street playhouse Theatre for an evening show. Of course, I need to pick a place to eat. My friend wants Thai. So I've been searching for Midtown Thai restaurants that would be really good and fairly reasonably priced:

1. Tamarind's

2. Thai Palate

3. Thai Chili Cuisine

Which would be the best place to go? Any insights you could share on the atmosphere and quality of food and service would be great!

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Thai?

Tamarind wins this hands-down. It's a little more expensive but consistently touted as the best Thai in town. It has a more upscale interior, and the cuisine and service are superior. Thai Chili is good for every-day, but it is essentially in a food court and the interior is nothing special. I've never had Thai Palate.

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Thai?

Yes, absolutely, Tamarind.

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Thai?

Great. I definitely don't want to eat in a food court of a mall. Well that leaves me with two options: Tamarind or Thai Palate. I heard Tamarind's interior was really "bare" compared to Thai Chilis and the service in Tamarind's could not be as attentive b/c they are so popular. I've eaten at many Thai Restaurants but I want to introduce my friend gently to the Thai restaurant vibe. Thai Palate is on Ponce de Leon...anything I should know about that street and area in terms of parking etc that could influence my decision in that respect? I'm going to the Woodruff Center's 14th Street Theatre for a show...Tamarind's is right across the street. decisions, decisions...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Thai?

Tamarind is mack daddy of Thai in that area. The food is truly gourmet -- read: some of the best I have had, but it is a little pricy and the portions are small. Thai Palate and Thai Chili are comparable. The interiors are just about the same. While you may need to enter the food court or the Sheraton hotel to get to Thai Chili, it's right across the street from 14th Street playhouse. So, you only need to park once. Which is really convenient.

Atlanta, GA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Thai?

Tamarind is great, no question. You also may want to consider Nan, its sister restaurant at 17th. Pricier - but far more elegant. For the best value for money on your list I would go for Thai Chili, but for quality only, I have to go with Tamarind as well. I love their food.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Thai?

Now that you describe the location I know where Thai Palate is. It is in a newer building. Ponce de Leon can be very sketchy but this is in a slightly better area. Still not the best neighborhood, though. It's within 4 blocks of massive housing projects with big crime problems. Even if the neighborhood weren't an issue, just based on reputation I'd pick Tamarind.

Here and There
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Thai?

Hot-T China and Thai Bistro

On Eagles Landing Parkway in Stockbridge; excellent food and atmosphere.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Thai?

Surin's of Thailand and Royal Orchid (Both In-town Atlanta) are the BEST THAI Food spots in Atlanta HANDS DOWN!

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Thai?

Surin!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Thai?

Surin is fine, but just middle of the road as far as Thai food goes. Critics agree that this is sort of the Applebees of Thai food. Thai Chili is better. The Royal Orchid, if I'm correct that that's the restaurant at Ansley Mall, is average, but the atmosphere is not really nice. Other than possibly by its sister restaurant, Nan, which I haven't tried yet, Tamarind cannot be beat.