We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

I looked at closed and open communities in Sandy Springs areas, mainly off Roswell Road. I thought the area had a lot to offer and was very close to Atlanta uptown/Buckhead way.

Of course there is nothing like hearing what locals have to say so do you know anything that I should know about? To be more specific, I mean crime/the neighbourhood as a whole and any useful info that I may be interested in.

I have a Remax agent looking at properties for me and I have seen some myself. Given the prices and sizes I was impressed with what you get for such little money, well when you compare to the UK housing market, anything is cheaper!

I am also looking at Buckhead area, but I am aware its more expensive.

I would be grateful for any feedback. thanks

BTH
Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

I used to work in the Sandy Springs area and can tell you that it is extremely congested. Also, property taxes are higher in Fulton county than in the surrounding areas (as you're probably aware). I would suggest gated communities only if you stick with Sandy Springs. Depending on where you're working (and your budget), you may want to look at Dunwoody or lower East Cobb (toward the River) off Johnson's Ferry. Still congested, but on weekends at least you'll be able to get to where you want to be.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

I work in Sandy Springs and while Roswell Road is very congested there are ways to get around it. I agree, though, that you should consider the portion of Dunwoody that it in DeKalb County as it is just as nice, it has beautiful old trees and real neighborhoods, and the property and ad valorem taxes are far better. Will you be commuting to work in the Atlanta area? That needs to be a primary consideration in deciding where to move.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
3 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

I have lived in Sandy Springs for 37 years. I would have to know a few things about you such as do you have children, what area of town you will be working in and are you looking for a single family home or condo? Homes in the High Point school district are not going to have as good of a resale value as homes in the Heards Ferry district. Traffic in Atlanta is horrible. Sandy Springs is probably one of the most centrally located areas of Atlanta. It is convenient to almost everywhere. Before you buy a house in any area make the morning and evening commute a couple of times before you make your decision.

London UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

I co-own a music company and we are looking to expand to the US, and in particular, Atlanta, so being near the centre is a must have.

We dont have any children, yet, but that was useful to know about the schools, in case the future changes.

We have experienced the congestion in Sandy Springs and I think the reason why it was not such a big deal is that in the UK it is far worse, so to us it was bad, but not THAT bad! However I did like the fact that it was so close to many amenities and Buckhead etc.

Interesting about the tax. I will look into that. My Remax agent did not tell me that..

Yes a gated community sounds good. We may not be there all the time anyway, so thats better security and peace of mind for us. Are you implying that there is bad crime or was this just a suggestion?

We dont really want to go anymore North, however if there are any other areas in Fulton/by Atlanta city that are worth looking into, even if this is an area that is being regenerated and is not (yet) desirable, it would be great to hear about it.

Once again thanks for all the advice!

KOC
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

You'll be much happier moving in-town Buckhead, Midtown, Inman/Candler park, Westside - Howell Mill/Northside Dr. area - much hipper and closer to music scene (clubs, etc.)

On a daily basis the Sandy Springs traffic will wear on you.

Also w/o kids you don't have to worry about school districts yet, and public schools here are terrible anyway and most of the good private schools are closer in.

You might wan to rent a house for 6-9 months and take your time to look around more. Or shop online at ziprealty.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

I agree with KOC 100%. Renting and getting a better feel for neighborhoods would be important. I would guess if you're looking for a hip scene, Buckhead, and certainly Sandy Sprinds, are not where you would want to be. The hipper areas are Midtown, East Atlanta, Grant Park, Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points, Candler Park, the Old Fourth Ward, Cabbage Town, the West End. If security is a consideration you might consider a condominium or a loft, which would offer restricted access and, in many circumstances, a concierge.

USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying property in Sandy Springs/Roswell Road

I will second the warning on higher taxes in Fulton County.

Did your agent tell you about the percentage of section 8 (welfare tenant) housing in the apartments on Roswell Road?