We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay ????

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay ????

Every year a bunch of college buddies go on an extended weekend trip to various destinations (35-40 year olds, no wives, girlfriends or children allowed). We had planned on New Orleans this year...well thats out. So we're considering Atlanta (we done Vegas, Chicago, San Fran, Montreal, and Miami in the past). I don't know much about Atlanta except for the downtown area. I'm basically trying to research where the 'happening' areas are, and any hotel recommendations in those areas. Though siteseeing would be on the agenda, its mostly about hanging out (bars, restaurants, etc...) and male bonding, in a signature setting of the destination (if there is such an area in Atlanta).

Decatur
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay ????

BUCKHEAD is your place. It's the prime nightlife district in ATL and you won't need to drive anywhere, as it's all in walking or a short cab ride distance. There's an Embassy Suites, Hyatt, Etc. in the area, too.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay ????

I would choose Midtown over Buckhead, just because it's more walkable and not quite so hip-hop, but it's just a matter of taste.

Not to discourage you from coming to Atlanta, but I think Charleston and Savannah have more of a coastal old South feel; they're both a lot more similar to New Orleans than Atlanta. Charleston is pretty low-key but there's lots of partying to be had in Savannah. If I were planning a reunion weekend, I'd probably go there instead of ATL.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay ????

I would agree with Oliviadawg that Midtown is a better place to spend time, and even Virginia Highlands as they have a nice variety of bars and restaurants. The only reason I'd go to Buckhead is to dine or to go to ESPN Zone for some male bonding. If you and your friends are into golf at all, there's plenty to be had just outside the city.

That said, I also agree that Savannah also has a lot to offer. Plenty of pubs and bars/restaurants to visit. River Street is more touristy than nice but it's worth a look. And you could golf over at Hilton Head if you want. It's also a less hectic pace.

Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay ????

Thanks for your input. Had I posted earlier, I may have reconsidered and proposed the other non-Atlanta options. In reviewing the various options (and other posts), Midtown might fit the bill.