We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Place to Stay

Shreveport...
1 post
Save Topic
A Place to Stay

I plan on visiting Atlanta in late September. My main interest is Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site. Can you recommend a hotel near there to stay. Thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,807 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Place to Stay

I would not stay in a hotel near the MLK site. Not the safest area. It's not too far from downtown, though, so you might want to check out the larger hotels there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Place to Stay

I agree with JAtlanta about staying in a hotel that's not right in that area. My husband and I took a guided tour of the Sweet Auburn area last summer and we really enjoyed it. But near the end we got harassed by a number of agressive panhandlers.

Rolling Bones is a good BBQ restaurant in that area, by the way. The farmers market on Auburn is worth a visit, too.

The King historic site, by the way, is much better than the King Center, which has fallen into a sad state of disrepair. The King historic site just opened a new exhibit on the history of voting. I want to go see it as soon as time allows.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Place to Stay

Well, there are no hotels even in that immediate area so you have no options but there are hotels less than 1 mile away. The MLK Site is less than .8 miles from the Downtown core so you will be fine staying in any Downtown Atlanta Area. I actually have a Office one Block down the street from the MLK site in Old Fourth Ward /Inman Park located ON Auburn Avenue and It is a great area with many new houses and is experiencing a Renaissance with beautiful housing and new businesses going in! This is coming from a person who is there everyday... Yes a few blocks away from the MLK center there area pan-handlers but the area is not dangerous you will be fine.