We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rains and flooding in Atlanta

USA
13 posts
Save Topic
Rains and flooding in Atlanta

My husband and myself are moving to Atlanta with our 3 yera old next month.

I recently saw a news report on the flooding in Atlanta due to 'Dennis'.

How bad is the situation rain and flooding . Is it often ?

Are there particular areas that are free from all that flooding?

Any info will be highly appreciated.

We are planning to move in an appartment and later buy a house. Needless to say, would not like to live in a flooding area.

Thanks.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

I have lived in the Atlanta area for 30 years. I can't recall a time when there has been flooding in Atlanta. The Atlanta area got 10 inches of rain in a couple of days because of Dennis. There just wasn't anyplace for that much water to go.

I presently live an hour north of Atlanta. We occassionally have flooding, but it is for the most part in low lying areas that have no buildings and is only here and there. Sometimes the water covers some roads and only lasts for a day of two.

Recently, we noticed that some new houses have been built in areas we have seen flooded before. Somehow the builders were able to get permits to build. Those home owners are beginning to have problems.

If you are interested in a particular house or area, ask the neighbors who have lived there for a long time what the history is. Don't go by what the realtor tells you.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

I think the worst of it was just south of Atlanta, near McDonough. In town, we've had a ton of rain this season, but it's not like the city is flooded. Seems like this has been a very weird year for rain, but then again we're just coming out of several years of drought.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

I haven't been at home much lately -- traveling on business -- but when I have been we haven't had much trouble in our area, near Spaghetti Junction (the intersection of I-85 and I-285 on the northeast side of Atlanta). I also didn't have any problems driving down to the airport in the early morning hours on Monday. From what I can tell, it was bad to the south of town, as has already been mentioned, but except for areas that usually flood, there've probably been worse times.

Most of the Atlanta area, particularly the part north of I-20, is hilly, so you only have to worry about flooding along creeks and rivers and in a few low-lying areas that have so much pavement that the water all runs off rather than soaking in. I wouldn't buy a house next to a creek unless there was at least 20 feet of vertical drop between the house and the creek, but otherwise you generally don't have to worry about it.

USA
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

Whew ! that sure sounds good and not as bad as I thought.

But does it rain a lot the whole year ?

We are moving,as we are tired of all that snow and chill up North....so rains shouldn't be that bad.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

Well, it's not Seattle, but Atlanta does typically get a reasonable amount of rain. There was a drought that lasted several years which may have caused some mis-set expectations among new arrivals, but the last couple of years have proabably been closer to the long-term historical average. In the winter and spring months, there'll generally be several days each month with some rain. In the summer, there's a perpetually high likelihood of afternoon thunderstorms.

That being said, days with rain are far from being the majority -- there are still plenty of days in the winter and spring that are beautiful and clear, and while there's always some clouds brewing somewhere on summer afternoons, actual storms tend to be localized, and won't typically start until 4 pm or so, so most of the day is fine (it's always humid during the summer, though). Fall is the driest season, generally.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

"A lot" probably depends on where you're from. It's not the kind of rain you get in Seattle, where it often just drizzles for days. When it rains here, it usually pours, and then the skies usually clear up quickly afterward. (It poured the morning of our wedding -- I was a wreck -- and then was sunny by the ceremony)

Like I said before, though, it seems like this has been an unusually soggy year, although I don't really have any hard data to prove that.

Just to make sure you know, Atlanta does get a change of season and it can get pretty cold during the winter -- don't expect south Florida, or even south Georgia, when you come down here. In a typical winter it might snow once or twice (at which point all the schools and businesses shut down and all of the people from the north laugh at us), then it's usually melted by the afternoon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

Hi, someplace. I've lived here most of my life and I'd say flooding is pretty unusual for Atlanta. Areas around Nancy Creek and Peachtree Creek do overflow on occasion but they seem to be used to it. I don't think it does any lasting damage.

The recent hurricane did cause some flooding in Henry County on the southside. One subdivision that got flooded ended up that way (I've read) because the owner of the land next door recently cut down a ton of trees and that left them open to flooding. Naturally, they're not happy about that. There was also some flooding up in north Cobb and Cherokee Counties. That's not a common thing at all.

Because of the increase in hurricane activity over the last few years, summer rain has been greater than usual. Most summers, we run a rain deficit and have water restrictions (for lawn sprinklers, washing cars) on certain days.

There's always the option of buying flood insurance. I heard a news report this week that says it costs about $400 a year.

My husband and I just returned from a two-year stint in Nashville and are living in an apartment while we decide where to buy. I have no idea what your needs are but we are living at the Gables of Druid Hills and enjoy it a lot. We had no flooding at all. If you have any questions about apartments, just ask because I did a lot of apartment research before our move.

USA
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

Thanks everybody for the info.

Peachswan we ourselves are doing some research on appartments, but can surely do with the tips and info. you provide.

We were looking at Roswell for appartments, or Dunwoody.

Where is Druid hill by the way?

Any other area is equally good in North Atlanta, maybe closer to Marta if possibel(thats just optional).

But the community should be kid friendly with lots of kids. My daughter is 3, and she's gonna miss her play group and all the appartment friends she's made here.

Good staff and crime free is equally important. Do you know of such appartment complexes then do let us know. Thanks

Decatur, Ga
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

The Decatur/Druid Hills area is very centrally located, (I've been transferred all over Atlanta from Kennesaw to Lawrenceville to Union City/ Jonesboro and except for the 400 area have never had more than a 45 minute commute. Lakeside HS is traditionally on of the better ones in the area and Oak Grove and Briarwood Elementry Schools are nationally ranked for their excellence. Lots of new housing is going into established neighborhoods so you can have the new house within a stable neigborhood. That being said, you will probably have higher taxes than outlying areas, but you can be downtown, (childrens museum & aquarium), shop at Lenox, be at a Braves or Falcons game in minutes. We had no flooding in this area due to our more established infrastructure, but this is the neighborhood where the tree fell and crushed a poor man in his bed.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rains and flooding in Atlanta

Our complex is located on an access road off of I-85 at the Druid Hills Road exit. You would think it would be noisy being so close to an interstate but it isn't. The complex was built in 2003 and is probably the nicest one I've ever lived in. I work near 10th Street (Ga. Tech campus) and it takes me around 15 minutes to get to work, which is the best commute I've ever had. It is also a few miles from the Brookhaven MARTA station. My husband likes the proximity to Emory since he's taking a class there.

At the same time, there do not appear to be many children that I've noticed since we moved here in May. I've seen a few at the pool but it is mostly singles and young couples without kids here. So you may want something more family-oriented. You might want to go to www.Gables.com since they own several other complexes around Atlanta.

One Web site you might try is www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/georgia.htm to check out reviews of different apartment complexes in Atlanta. There are also a number of free apartment locating services here that can be helpful.

Roswell and Dunwoody are both nice but I tend to like Dunwoody more because it has some older neighborhoods with a lot of trees. It is a very stable area with good schools. I lived there in 1998 and would love to move there when we get a house. Roswell is fine, too, but the traffic to get there on 400 can be murder. Vinings, over in Northwest Atlanta, is another area we're going to be looking at as well.