We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Holland
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

Hi, I'm from the Netherlands and could use your help in my information gathering:

Next year I am organizing a trip for my choir to Atlanta and Charlotte. It's our wish to visit some african-american churches and possibly perform there. We did the same thing in Los Angeles last year (where we performed a.o in the West Angeles Church of Bishop Blake). I am looking for all kinds of tips like:

- a good hotel in Atlanta, reasonably priced, located near public transport, with accommodation suited for these kind of large groups

- a good restaurant where we can have our farewell-dinner on the last night

- tips on local churches that would be open for contact with us and might be interested in receiving us

- we'd also like to do something with regard to charity, maybe a visit to a local shelter to help-out for a day and do a mini-concert. Any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

In short, any information would be very much appreciated!

If you wish to know more about us, our website (only in dutch I'm afraid) is: www.blackgospelmusic.nl

Please excuse me for any misspellings, English is not my native language!

Angelique

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

How much do you want to spend on the hotel rooms?

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

I am also planning a group trip of that size to Atlanta in 2006 - a 1960s reunion for alumni of the International School of the Hague. What a coincidence! I have been told to look for hotels in Midtown or Buckhead, not downtown. Several hotels are close to the public transportation system called MARTA. Two hotels I have proposals from are the Crowne Plaza Atlanta - Buckhead and the Wyndham Midtown. What you need to do is go online and fill out their request for proposal forms and they will email you a group rate. I have been able to get about $99 a night which seems to be a good rate

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

You might want to contact the Atlantia Chamber of Commerce. I am sure that they could direct you to the proper agency to contact regarding the concerts, etc.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

The Crowne Plaza Buckhead is very nice - its a high end hotel - rooms are on the smaller size and basically everything is a premium price.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

The Days Inn Downtown on Spring Street handles many church groups and large ones as well. It's a clean comfortable hotel right in downtown with access to MARTA (public transportation) and all things downtown. I'm assuming that you are watching cost with a church group this large, so this is a good solid bet. Ask for Danny Emonds in Sales, and he will make it a breeze!

Project Open Hand is a great place to volunteer for a day with a large group. http://www.projectopenhand.com/

Good luck!

Georgia
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

For food, if everyone likes 'family style' Italian, where they put big platters of food on the table, each of which feeds about 5 people or so, you might like Maggiano's (on Peachtree, near Lenox mall). They have a private room upstairs.

Could probably get an even better deal at Fratellie di Napoli, a bit further south on Peachtree. I don't think they have a private room and the acoustics are such that it's hard to talk to or hear anyone that's not real close to you.

Any idea of what kind of food everyone would want? Good Chinese place called China Delight, up Buford Hwy, left onto Chamblee Tucker. They can handle a lot of people...

Holland
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice asked for a group of 50-100 people traveling to...

Many thanks for all your answers sofar, these have given me a good lead to work further on. As for restaurant choices, are there any recommendations for a restaurant that serves southern style 'soul' food? As we're from Europe we'd love to try the local kitchen! Any other recommendations you might have remain welcome.

I'm also looking to establish some contacts with local afro-american churches and choirs. So any help anyone has to offer in that direction is also very highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Angelique